Cases

BamaFan29891

In Runtime
I am in need of some education on cases and PSU.

I need to start getting a list together of a custom computer I will be building, but I don't understand what needs to go with what. How many watts will I need, is it according to what's going to be in it, etc?

If you have a website or webpage or soemthing that has info on this, please post it.

The power rating of a PSU depends on what you're putting into the case as you have mentioned. Usually what you do is add up the total wattage of each hardware you're going to put in the case and give another 20% headroom. Since video cards require certain amount of power, start with that. Usually, you have to meet a certain power requirement to run a particular video card.

For cases, make sure it will fit whatever motherboard you plan on putting in there. Most good motherboards with loads of features have an ATX form factor. So, you find a case that supports ATX motherboards.

Ok making sure. I will try to do that. Seems kind of complicated to do that, but I am sure I can get it all to work :p

Is there a certain list of how to start like what to select first?

Like a list of things to consider in order?

Thanks

Here's what I would do. Once you find a video card, check the system requirements on that. Most performance video cards state a minimum power supply of anywhere from 350-450watts. Higher end SLi capability require 550watts +. That right there gives you an idea on what PSU you need. Also take into consideration of your other components as well.

Oh, use this power supply calculator to help you too:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

It's updated to include AM2, Core Duo, dual core, multi core, and newest graphics card support.

Whatever you're planning on using, it will add up to about 300-350 actual watts. So I would just use the video card you plan on getting as a baseline and add another 50-100 watts there for assurance.

That link I gave you is still a good reference guide. Note what it says also:

"The total Watts is important but the Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage. Because of the increased power consumption of the new high-power video cards the recommended minimum for +12V is 26A, for SLI 35A.

For more information about Power Supplies please read the best PSU guide ever Power Supply Guide for Today's & Tomorrow's Computers by "davidhammock200" (ExtremeOverclocking.com)."

Back
Top Bottom