case fan

mikee

Fully Optimized
Today my case fan just started rattling and making alot of noise. It also isn't spinning as fast as it should. what would be better to do, clean the fan out somehow or just go buy a new fan. I am sorta new at installing case fans because my case had the fan preinstalled.

just give it a clean , my fans were dirty after a few weeks .
give them a good clean and then if they still rattle you should buy a new one.
it proberly is not spinning aswell because its clogged full of dirt

well if it getting slown down its the part in the middle where its roating.

you will proberly have to take it out of the case to clean it thurougly.

no no, I disn't plan on using water on it but is rubbing alcohol ok?

also how do you clean the center part?

When fans slow down like that, generally they get gummed up inside, and short of a complete tear down and cleaning, they will simply stop spinning. You can give it a good shot of WD40, but that will only last for so long till it finally does quit. I think you would be better off just buying a new fan. They are not that hard to remove and replace.

You can give it a good shot of WD40.
Mate, WD40 is not a lubricant

Rattling and declining rpm probably indicate a collapsed/failed or failing bearing, if that is the case then you will need to buy a replacement.

There is nothing to clean in the centre motor housing, you may however peel back the sticker and insert a single small drop of light grade oil (sewing machine oil is good) to see if it frees the fan up and gives better rpm.

Replacing a case fan is no big deal, it should just be four screws and a power plug.

im going to see if i can find any oil to lube it up but im thinking that the bearing is failing because when i turn the fan manually it seems like its almost grinding on something inside. this is odd though because this computer is only 6 months old

Back
Top Bottom