Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Casble to connect laptop to desktop for file transfer?

This is probably a dumb/simple question. I bought a new laptop and want to transfer some extremely large files back and forth from my desktop at home and also my desktop at work. Is there some sort of high speed cable I can connect the two that will work easily, and with different systems? My desktop at home is an old Pentium 4 (circa 2003 or so).

---Some really ancient desktop computers with outdated processors, memory, and operating systems, a 7 year old Dell laptop that is so slow my one-legged brother can outrun it, and a new Dell Studio Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz 1066Mhz 6M L2 Cache, 8GB, DDR2 800MHZ 2 DIMM and most importantly a cool purple-striped lid---
CoolRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Casble to connect laptop to desktop for file transfer?

Your best bet has to be a Firewire or x-over Ethernet cable.

I've never connected two machines with Firewire but I know with an x-over Ethernet cable it's just a simple case of setting up a network. Then you can move your files over.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
Your best bet has to be a Firewire or x-over Ethernet cable.

I've never connected two machines with Firewire but I know with an x-over Ethernet cable it's just a simple case of setting up a network. Then you can move your files over.
Haha OK talk me through the Ethernet thing. Can I just get an Ethernet cable and connect the two together and voila, I am set? Or is there something else I have to do to make it work?
---Some really ancient desktop computers with outdated processors, memory, and operating systems, a 7 year old Dell laptop that is so slow my one-legged brother can outrun it, and a new Dell Studio Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz 1066Mhz 6M L2 Cache, 8GB, DDR2 800MHZ 2 DIMM and most importantly a cool purple-striped lid---
Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRabbit View Post
Haha OK talk me through the Ethernet thing. Can I just get an Ethernet cable and connect the two together and voila, I am set? Or is there something else I have to do to make it work?
You don't need anything else just the cable and your done. You do have to enter the network setup wizard to get it up and running.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRabbit View Post
Be sure to get a crossover Ethernet cable to connect them, not a straight-through Ethernet cable.
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computear View Post
Be sure to get a crossover Ethernet cable to connect them, not a straight-through Ethernet cable.
Quite right.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Baseband Member

Thanks a bunch! You guys rock!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

It might be easier to just get a USB flash drive. The prices on these are coming way down, too. Depending on how big you need the flash drive to be to hold your files it may even be cheaper than a crossover cable. No doubt it would be easier.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Baseband Member

These are HUGE video files. My desktop is old and slow, and it would take forever to save each video file to a flash drive (and the flash drive would have to be really big). I thought it would be easier to skip a step and get the video to my laptop directly from my desktop. I am going to check into getting a crossover ethernet cable tonight.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Baseband Member

OK I got a crossover ethernet cable, connected the two computers. They see that each other is there, but cannot read from each other so I cannot move files. Any ideas?