Cant remove folder

smackfan761

Baseband Member
I'm having a problem removing a folder from my removeable storage device. It's a 256MB mp3 player. When I try to delete it, I get an error message saying "Cannot remove folder Rock: The directory is not empty." but there's nothing in it. I tried going to Tools: folder options, View: show hidden files and folders and I even unchecked Hide protected operating system files and still shows nothing in the folder. When I click on properties of the whole drive, it shows that the drive is about 75% full but there is nothing on there but that one empty folder. The mp3 player is hooked through USB to my Win XP Pro computer. I hooked the mp3 player up to another computer to see if it was a problem with my computer, but it does the same thing on that one. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of this folder?

If your MP3 player came with software, you may be able to delete the folder from that software that is on your computer once you hook the MP3 player up to your computer.

If that doesn't work.. try putting something in it from the software and then deleting that file again.

Then, if you can do that, try putting that file back in and then deleting the folder.

It didnt come with any software. All I do is hook it to my computer and Win XP identifies it as a removable storage device, then I just drag and drop the audio files into it.

I tried putting some files into the folder then deleting it, and all it does is delete the files I just put in it and everything is still the same... empty folder with 75% of drive used and same error message.

Maybe you should try and reinstall/update the driver.
Maybe email machspeed and tell them your problem, how it happened, what you did, and ask if there has been similar problems and if there is a driver update.

Maybe you wanna chance it and update the driver yourself.

http://www.machspeed.com/mp3_player.htm

I'm going to guess you bought this online?
I never buy stuff online.

Maybe you could go into dos command prompt..

go into run, type in, cmd.exe

and go into the logical letter drive of your USB player and try deleting the folder.

you said it was Rock: ?

rmdir "Rock:"

rmdir = remove folder directory

if that doesn't work try...

rmdir Rock:

push enter after you type in each command

-----

if you have some programs/windows that are accessing the usb player you may want to close them out before deleting in the dos command prompt. or if you are trying to delete from windows/linux/unix try closing out some programs that are trying to access the usb before deleting the folder.

V1RU5 said:
Maybe you should try and reinstall/update the driver.

I'm going to guess you bought this online?
I never buy stuff online.

Maybe you could go into dos command prompt..

go into run, type in, cmd.exe

and go into the logical letter drive of your USB player and try deleting the folder.

you said it was Rock: ?

rmdir "Rock:"

rmdir = remove folder directory

if that doesn't work try...

rmdir Rock:

push enter after you type in each command
QUOTE]

Driver is up to date. Yes, I bought it online. I tried to remove it from command prompt and it wont let me. It says "The directory is not empty". I tried typing in

rmdir Rock = Nothing
del Rock = Nothing
rd Rock = Nothing

They all come up with the same error message. It's getting very frustrating.

Well here's an update so far...I finally got the folder removed, but the drive is still showing about 75% full and there is nothing on it. I dont understand it. Anyone know what I can do about this?

Wait a second.. how'd you get the folder removed? Can't you delete the files from the commands within the mp3 thumb drive?

i'll talk to you on yahoo messenger for live support.

Thanks for all your help guys. I finally got it. The first thing I did was I ran Norton Disk Doctor and it found a problem with the folder and fixed it. I didnt save the log on it so I dont remember what it was. After the folder was gone, it was still showing the drive as 75% full. Now when I bought the mp3 player, it came with a little booklet and in it, it said to never format the drive because it will lose info on it that needs to be there and you cant get it back after a format. I was so frustrated with it that I didnt give a shit any more so I formatted it. Well, it emptied it and all info that needed to be on there was still there. I put new songs on it and everythig works great. Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom