Can't open my back-up recovery files

joed

Beta member
Hello everyone

First time posting here;
I've been reading this great forum for some time, looking for answers for a problem I have, however I'm overwhelmed and mostly goes right over my head, my computer skills are limited do basics only.

Here's my problem; due to a virus I had to do a completely recovery on my Gateway using the manufacturer "recovery which supposedly should have saved my documents" it defolted to a "my back-up" documents. Some some reason, I can't open those documents which contains lots of pictures and some word docs as well.

When I right click on this "my back-up file", its properties indicate 9 plus gig of memory which is about right. Again, I just can't open those documents.

Is there a chance that with some help from you guys I can recover and see those documents again?

I would appreciate if some of you could help me.

Thank you

JoeD

When you did a recovery it only puts your files back to the time
you purchased your computer.
It is supposed? to save your files.
This is sometimes not the case.

It is supposed? to save your files.
This is sometimes not the case.

Thanks for responding.

You asked a good question, the only thing I know is that I had two ways of recovering my computer, one choice give the option of saving the documents on a" My back-up documents file" and the other choice did not. I choose the first option.

Thanks for your input.

JoeD

I realize that been a new guy on this forum, I can't expect a high numer of responses to a newbi question. So I respectufy ask again for a bit more of info from pros like you guys.
If all possible, please help me out solving this problem. Thank you

JoeD

What does it say when you try to open the folder/files?
What are the files listed as?

i.e, are they listed as image files; jpeg, bmp, etc, or are they listed as unknown files with no file name?

Thanks;

I can't even see the files individually, the "my back-up folder" where all the supposedly saved documents are, show these properties: audit-install-in-progress,autoexec.bat, config.sys...

This back-up folder contains other folders but none of them show significant memory enough memory to amount 9 plus gig of memory.
For example, one folder says MRT.exe.-p,mrtstub.exe.

Thank you

JoeD

I wonder if you should put the disc back in again.
It may have a utility to unpack what its packed up in the recovery, since it may be in a compressed format, which is unviewable, since you may have hidden files/folders set to on in the folder properties.

Thanks a ton.

I'm going to leave that task for someone that knows what to do...me!, I might screw it up even more!!!!!!! :eek:

Thanks again.

JoeD

Back
Top Bottom