Can't install programs or run windows update

hessnerlj

Beta member
I just got a new laptop and the stupid thing will not allow me to install any software or run windows update. It won't download the ActiveX to run windows updater. I went through the install process to put Norton AV but after it was done there was nothing installed on the computer! I am tired of searching MS Knowledge base and every other forum I can find, somebody please help before this thing gets launched out the window!

Check your user log in and make sure that you signed in as an adminastrator.

start > control panel > user accounts

then try this:
start > control panel > Internet options > security tab .....highlight each icon and then select the default setting tab for each icon and click on apply then ok.

you should be able to get to windows update and allow the authorization process to check your laptop.

***note*** being a new computer you will have to activate windows to get the updates now.

***note*** being a new computer you will have to activate windows to get the updates now.

thats not true. i get windows updates and my windows isn't activated.

OK, sorry for the incomplete post before. It is Windows XP Pro. I fixed some of the problems by following a MS Knowledge Base article that had me re-register about 6 .dll files relating to the Cryptographic Service. Now I am able to install programs and get the ActiveX to work. It still won't complete the updates but at least now I get to the the window where you choose "express install" or "custom install". It doesn't matter which one I choose it hangs for a minute and then goes to an error screen. It is also unable to verify any software I try to install, even MS stuff. SO I always get the "Are you sure you want to install this?" Whatever it is, is definitely off the beaten path because I have never had to register .dlls before so I am sure the rest of the fix is something equally obscure.

I did activate and register XP but I had to do it by phone because it couldn't find the activation server even though I was able to surf the internet.

Back
Top Bottom