Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
Solid State Member

Default Re: Can't Install Modem...

I kinda wondered about that too; so I looked on the microsoft website, under the "certified"/"verified" list, it is there for WinXP, Win9x, WinMe, Win2k, and WinNT4.0.

I have also been to IBM, and searched for any updates there; I did find one for a Generic Soft 56k chipset modem. Nope, no good!

samainfirenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Hmm. Have you tried it under XP?
Are you sure the modem works?

Old 03-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #13
Solid State Member

I am using the modem under WinXp right now; I used the modem under Win98se to post my first two messages here. It works perfectly, with no conflicts, under both OS's.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #14
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

That just wierd - so, you're using it on Windows XP and 98, but it doesn't work on 2000?

That is crazy - did it have a modem before? Maybe you could try reinstalling Windows? If its a new install. so that you can check whether that went wrong - otherwise it may not be worth it!

Could you just send the Modem back and get a different make or is it an old one?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #15
Solid State Member

I've had the modem for to long to take back.

Re-install Windows...[[shivers]] That's gonna take a while. I don't have OEM recovery CD's for this Pc representing Win2k; or Win98. I copyied the I386 folder from my Win2k install on my laptop; also my dual boot of Win98, I copied the Options/Cabs folder, onto Cd-rom to make my OS install CD's. I hid the partitions that I wasn't using to install the OSes. For Win98; it still installed from a quick GUI interface, just by floppy-booting and typing Setup.exe at the command line. For Win2k, I floppy boot, then WINNT.EXE to do a install. This takes away from the quick install option...Win2k took forever to finish copying files!

Oh, well, there I go rambling. I did find one article that may explain why I 'm having so much trouble. If this is the case; I'm not sure if I want to go through any more crap with this thing just to find that it still doesn't work!

http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....538/qid/521338
Old 03-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #16
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

It sounds like theres just something wrong with the Modem; I certainly can't help you anymore - by the sound of it you'll need to finddle with solder and the likes, which I would like to have to talk you through! Infact - I doubt I could do it with a Modem!

Well; if you need anymore help with anything (other than this modem!) - just come back! Please don't judge our problem solvoing abilities by this! Most things I see are sorted here; theres always somebody who can sort it.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:05 PM   #17
Daemon Poster

You probally have but have you tryed this site.
http://www.conexant.com/support/

GeforcebOY is offline   Reply With Quote