Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default Can't get into HDD

so i just reinstalled xp.
and now i can't get into my HDD's.
everytime i try it says "windows cannot find 'RECYCLERS/S-4-7-(tons of numbers here).com'. Please make sure you have typed the name correctly, and then try again."
got all drivers installed and such.
don't know what to do.
any advice?

oh, but i can access them from another computer wireless-ly.
not sure if that helps or not.
__________________

Zanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: Can't get into HDD

try right clicking on our recycle bin
select properties.
now select not to use any space on the drives and check the box that says to not move files to the recycle bin when deleted, press apply.

then make sure that you can access the drive, (as it should hopefully have deleted the recycler folder, then enable the recycle bin again, (assuming that you even use it at all). if you never use it, and only delete things that you want to delete you could leave the recycle bin disabled altogether.
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default Re: Can't get into HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
try right clicking on our recycle bin
select properties.
now select not to use any space on the drives and check the box that says to not move files to the recycle bin when deleted, press apply.

then make sure that you can access the drive, (as it should hopefully have deleted the recycler folder, then enable the recycle bin again, (assuming that you even use it at all). if you never use it, and only delete things that you want to delete you could leave the recycle bin disabled altogether.
changed nothing.

tried reinstalling xp, fixed nothing.
was able to use device manager to fix my slave HDD.
but still have the same problem with my other hard drive.
any help?

upon restarting xp i get this

"An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll, NvStartup"

not sure if thats affecting whats wrong.

haha, so...
i set up my unaccessable HDD to be shared and such.
it shows up on my pc as a shared folder.
so i can't access it directly but i can access it remotely?
crazy computer.
Zanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default Re: Can't get into HDD

anyone?
Zanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Can't get into HDD

are you talking about your OS HDD? or your back up HDD?

I would reconnect the cables and maybe reinstall windows after that if it still doesnt work. Oh yeah, when you reinstall windows, make sure you select Full Reformat.
__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default Re: Can't get into HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
are you talking about your OS HDD? or your back up HDD?

I would reconnect the cables and maybe reinstall windows after that if it still doesnt work. Oh yeah, when you reinstall windows, make sure you select Full Reformat.
its the backup.
i've done all that already.
i think i'm just gonna have to move my files and format it.
got any space i can borrow?
Zanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Can't get into HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
got any space i can borrow?
I only have about 40GB, but i can make more space if needed, since my laptop and desktop shares about 60GB worth of stuff
__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default Re: Can't get into HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
I only have about 40GB, but i can make more space if needed, since my laptop and desktop shares about 60GB worth of stuff
now that i think about it i may not need the space.
just got music, pictures, and programs.
the rest i can get from you.
__________________

Zanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0