can't format...plz hlp....

pilotx

Solid State Member
So I got a Toshiba Satelite and wanted to install new Win xp, the black version. I slaped in the CD, changed the boot sequence. When it came time to format ( Win XP setup format ) I went ahead and started to format. In a 24 hour period it formated 7%, so I shut it down and started over.....same thing. The HD is 120G, and I tried this with Win XP, Win 98se and Vista........all same thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Even if you did have vista on your hardrive,you wont have problem formatting,it doesnt matter WHAT os you have on your hardrive,you can format it no problem.

I recomend using THIS Tool,burn it to a disc and burn of it,its simple to use.

So I got a Toshiba Satelite and wanted to install new Win xp, the black version. I slaped in the CD, changed the boot sequence. When it came time to format ( Win XP setup format ) I went ahead and started to format. In a 24 hour period it formated 7%, so I shut it down and started over.....same thing. The HD is 120G, and I tried this with Win XP, Win 98se and Vista........all same thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had the exact same problem with my gf's laptop (which is also a Toshiba Satellite). Did your computer start acting weird or freezing before you decided to reformat? I ruled that the hard drive in her laptop was corrupted beyond repair (lots of bad sectors) after lots of troubleshooting, could not format ANY windows installations, although it did let me install linux. ANyway, we ultimately ended up replacing the hard drive and windows xp installed just fine. Try installing that hard drive into another system and run the scandisk utility to check for errors. If you get LOTS of error messages with no progress, your hard drive may be crapping out.

Try what Neodude112320 suggested, a second option to try is using the manufacturers diagnostic utility for the hard drive you have (you will have to pop the drive out and look at it to see who the Manufacturer is). Sounds to me like your drive could be failing/dead.

Back
Top Bottom