Can't Decide on a processor!!

you may have the money, but wats the point of wasting about $300 for a difference thats not so big. That $300 can go towards something else like a coolit eliminator if you really want liquid cooling over air. An extra GTX 280, remember he wants a 'GAMING PC' and some editing, but mostly GAMING. What would you rather choose, a 940 or an extra GTX 280 and run a 2-way sli with those babys

Liquid cooling would be a waste to begin with. The TRUE120 is pretty much a liquid cooler on its own. For most games out right now the bottleneck is not in the GPU but in the CPU. If he's already running a beast of a graphics card why get another one and increase the bottleneck? (OP: What GPU you getting/got?)

you may have the money, but wats the point of wasting about $300 for a difference thats not so big. That $300 can go towards something else like a coolit eliminator if you really want liquid cooling over air. An extra GTX 280, remember he wants a 'GAMING PC' and some editing, but mostly GAMING. What would you rather choose, a 940 or an extra GTX 280 and run a 2-way sli with those babys

I'd rather go for a GTX 296. Why buy a 280 when you can get extremely similar performance with a Core 216? I'm talking about a couple of frames off. I'm with you on the 940. It's faster, just not enough to compensate $300.

Well...I think we've laid our points out. The OP is free to choose for himself. I gave him a link to a review too. Regardless of whether he chooses the 920 or the 940 he'll be getting on hell of a processor.

actually, it depends on the game.
Some games are CPU intensive, so you would need to get a really good CPU, and an midrange/close to high end GPU will do fine.
But then there are some games that are GPU intensive, so you would need a really good GPU, and an midrange/close to high end CPU will do fine.

If money is no object, i would go for the best, forget the difference in price.
Or you can get the 920 and slightly OC it to the speed of the 940, which im pretty sure it would be easy to do.

Teny, here's the thing though. If you get a 940 would you keep it at stock speeds? Maybe while you learn how to OC it...the same way you can OC a 920 you can OC a 940 so the problem isn't there.

By the way, speculations are that the 940 will OC to 3.3GHz and maybe more.

Liquid cooling would be a waste to begin with. The TRUE120 is pretty much a liquid cooler on its own. For most games out right now the bottleneck is not in the GPU but in the CPU. If he's already running a beast of a graphics card why get another one and increase the bottleneck? (OP: What GPU you getting/got?)

REMEMBER i said if you want LIQUID COOLING over AIR. Not saying YOU HAVE TO get liquid, some people prefer liquid over air, not everyone but some people do. Why get another GPU, well ummmmm... lets see here, better performance in the long run.

Rohan their is a difference between the core 216 and 280, both can be overclocked pretty good, and very easily if you get the evga versions. If you look, a lot of people that have over the core 216 switched to 280's, the price difference is not large and the performance is a bit better. I would not go with a 295 because its dual GPU, No dual GPU card has been completly fluent with drivers and performance yet (note the 9800GX2 and somewhat 4870x2).

Teny, here's the thing though. If you get a 940 would you keep it at stock speeds? Maybe while you learn how to OC it...the same way you can OC a 920 you can OC a 940 so the problem isn't there.

By the way, speculations are that the 940 will OC to 3.3GHz and maybe more.

The thing is, not everyone wants to overclock their parts. Why would you overclock when you're getting perfectly acceptable speeds at stock settings? For some people 3FPS isn't worth the time and risk. Especially if you're a beginner to overclocking.

I'm not as knowledgeable as you all are but honestly is that lil extra really worth an inch on your epeen??? Cuz seriously 300 dollar difference is alot for that little bit extra speed especially when you can OC it and stay pretty close with it...I could see if he was asking should he get the 940 or the 965 extreme edition or something but the difference between the 920 and 940 really doesn't justify a 300 dollar difference IMHO...But like Joga said if he has the money i mean why not but if he has the money to buy this now at that price I really don't think that upgrading in 2 years to the newer next CPU that blows away both of these chips now.....I would go for the 920 since it really isn't that big of a difference in Ghz compared to price....But hey like I said im not as knowledgeable as others.....But I am also a tight wad and need a hell of a good justification to spend an extra 300 bucks on a CPU...:D:D:D

Either way OP your gettin a SICK CPU and Let us know how it works out for ya.....

Why get another GPU, well ummmmm... lets see here, better performance in the long run.

Did you read my post? Do you know what a bottleneck is? If a CPU is limiting your GPU, how can you get more performance by adding more GPUs? That won't decrease the bottleneck. If you put a 8800GT with a P4 and 3 GTX295 with a P4 you'll most likely get the same results if you're playing a game that requires dual-core.

@PokerDegenerate: The next CPU that blows away the i7 940 will probably be a different socket.

Back
Top Bottom