Can't boot up or re-install Windows XP

No I've never overclocked. Although today when I rebooted the computer it said the attempt to OC was unsuccessful.

Phumfeinz said:
No I've never overclocked. Although today when I rebooted the computer it said the attempt to OC was unsuccessful.
so it sounds like someone mucking with settings,Do you have a oc program installed you might have been playing with and set something wrong.I can only give you pointers to solve ya probs,If your pc was here it be fixed qik.

No no programs like that, and I'm the only one who goes on the computer. It really doesn't make any sense.

Phumfeinz said:
No no programs like that, and I'm the only one who goes on the computer. It really doesn't make any sense.
well if you dont have a program some ones been in the bios.#2 your ram needs to be replaced,can you borrow some ram from some one to do a check,Go to your pc shop ask them to swap out the ram,Most pc shops have every ram u can think of as spare testers ,well good shops do.I will check back after holidays to see how your doing.

I'm going to get some discs and burn the memtest86+ onto that, see if that picks up anything. But tomorrow is Xmas so I'll have to wait til after to get some discs.

Thanks for looking into this.

No. I downloaded the program but this laptop doesnt have a floppy disc drive, which means I have to wait to get a writable CD to put it on.

Raffaz said:
Have ya tested the HDD like i said in post #5?

Ok, I've burnt the program I need to a disk, and set my CD drive as the 1st boot device, but the CD doesn't load. It just goes to the 'We apologize for the inconvience, but Windows did not start succesfully' page.

Nothing is going right.

Is the BIOS definately set to boot from CD? Is the CD recognised in the BIOS? Have ya got more than 1 CD/DVD drive, if so, try the disc in the other drive aswell. Have ya burned the bootable image from the site?

Yeah it's definately set to boot from the CD drive first. For a brief second when it starts up, it shows the page where it says 'Press any key to boot from cd...' (it's blank though, just the flashing cursor) before going to the 'Windows did not start succesfully page'.

Back
Top Bottom