Can't boot into vista

Harsh Pranami

Baseband Member
Friends please help!please.I can't boot vista anymore.Previously i had xp in C: drive and vista in F: drive.But i formatted C: drive to install xp sp 2.After completing the installation successfully i was shocked to see that it didn't showed the names of the two operating system i.e. Vista and Xp.It automatically booted into xp.I have tried several times restarting but it didn't work.Also fed up i tried to delete the vista's program files and windows folder but it showed not accessible.Friends please tell me how can i get my vista back.Also if not possible how will i delete vista's folder.I can't format F: because my hard disk is almost full and i have some really important stuff.So please.

With a dual boot system, XP on drive C, and Vista on drive F, there are a few files on the C drive that let the system know that there are two operating systems. If you have formated drive C and re-installed an XP on it your system is no longer dual boot.

If you want to set up the dual boot again you are going to need to re-install Vista now that you have XP working.

But, _be_sure_to_backup_your_data_from_the_F_drive_first!

If you can't back up your file from the F drive you may want to stick with using WinXP only.

Thanks for replying bro.At least someone helped me.But one last question, why am i not able to delete the program files and windows folder of vista?How can i delete them without formatting f: drive?Please reply because vista is taking at least 7 gB.

Thanks for replying bro.At least someone helped me.But one last question, why am i not able to delete the program files and windows folder of vista?How can i delete them without formatting f: drive?Please reply because vista is taking at least 7 gB.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I would imagine that it has to do with permissions, and Vista being the newer operating system would not let XP delete the OS files.

If you could transfer your data from the F drive to an external drive, another computer, internet storage, thumb drive, or even burn to DVD, it would make thing much easier. You could then reformat the drive and regain the space, or if you feel adventurous, reinstall Vista and have dual boot again. But, you probably already know this...

You don't have any way to backup your data from the F drive?

Thanks once again.I am very grateful to you.Is there any software which will help me to delete such files just like process explorer which kills the process which says access denied?But thanks once again for helping me.

Thanks once again.I am very grateful to you.Is there any software which will help me to delete such files just like process explorer which kills the process which says access denied?But thanks once again for helping me.

Not that I know of. Wish I could be more helpful.

You can't delete that folders! Only way to free up space is formatting that partition. Back up what you need and then format.

heres the problem. You installed XP AFTER Vista. Therefore XP didn't recognize vista due to vista not existing when they coded it. So XP deleted your boot.ini (which tells the computer what is available to boot to, among other things) and when it made the new one, it didn't include Vista. The only way to fix this that I know of, is to put in a vista disk and click restore vista. Or booting into vista and manually restoring it, or using an external program in vista, such as bootbcd. Although you can probably find some more solutions through googling, as this is a pretty common problem. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom