Can't access owner folders/documents but other folders in master HD! Please help!

okay just one more thing: can i boot the computer from an external cd-rom drive instead of internal cd-rom drive using Ubuntu

Good question, I think it depends on your bios, can't hurt to try. Also, take a look at the link A True Folder posted.

as ATF stated, there is absolutely no need for all the hassle of installing an OS, all you need to do is taken ownership of the files/folders, it's pretty easy and a lot quicker...

as ATF stated, there is absolutely no need for all the hassle of installing an OS, all you need to do is taken ownership of the files/folders, it's pretty easy and a lot quicker...

I have tried this but still get the message ""access denied- owner folder is unaccessible". sorry to inform you so late but i already had full control of the folder. so i did not need do anything by changing security setting. so it must be something else

also, the shock happened by my carelessly used a hammer to take out a wood block from a tv desk to make it into pc desk with the pc still on the tv desk (took me few min. to do it)

Give Ubuntu a try first. I think it has a easyer interface to understand. At least for me.

okay i tried live linux ubuntu version and was able to get into the folder and copy the files I needed! Now I have just one question waiting to be answered so please answer if you have answer to it:

I have a 160 GB seagate HD on external enclosure where i have already created 4 mounted partitions a long time ago (none of them has any OS) which all have datas already. therefore, how do I install Ubuntu OS on JUST ONE partition without erasing all the other partitions data. The installation method is still confusing to me because it looks like it is asking to me reformat all the partitions if i choose the entire disk 1st option and for 2nd option: specify partitions manually (advance) what should i do if i just want to have it installed on one partitions out of 4 partitions on my HD

I have a 160 GB seagate HD on external enclosure where i have already created 4 mounted partitions a long time ago (none of them has any OS) which all have datas already. therefore, how do I install Ubuntu OS on JUST ONE partition without erasing all the other partitions data. The installation method is still confusing to me because it looks like it is asking to me reformat all the partitions if i choose the entire disk 1st option and for 2nd option: specify partitions manually (advance) what should i do if i just want to have it installed on one partitions out of 4 partitions on my HD

What I would recommend, if you can, is to try installing on any old hard disk that doesn't have any files on it. You could partition it something like the 160G drive you have, and experiment with it till you are sure of what you are doing. If you don't have a spare drive to play and experiment with you should do lots of reading about installing Ubuntu. Also, If you can, back up the data on the disk that is important before you try installing Ubuntu on one of the partitions of your 160 gig drive. Even if you do everything right there is no garantee that you won't lose data. If you just want to learn about Ubuntu, you could just play with the live disk for a while.

You could use the WUBI installer to install ubuntu directly into windows. So you wouldn't lose windows and you would gain ubuntu.

Then you are doing what is called dual booting. When the computer starts it will ask you to select the OS you want to start.

since their is a risk of having your data erased, what i am doing now is installing it on a brand new HD. However, before i do that, can you please let me know how to create two different partitions in a HD where I can use one to install Ubuntu and the other for windows xp?

since their is a risk of having your data erased, what i am doing now is installing it on a brand new HD. However, before i do that, can you please let me know how to create two different partitions in a HD where I can use one to install Ubuntu and the other for windows xp?

I use this, maybe not the best one but it works. Link

Back
Top Bottom