Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Can't access owner folders/documents but other folders in master HD! Please help!

I have a Seagate Internal HD where i have "windows xp" installed that isn't working properly due to shock however i can still turn it on but it only shows up a blank black screen and doesn't go no where. So i had to put it in an external enclosure with my other "windows xp" PC . Doing that I can access folders like "programs" and "windows" and "guest documents" however what i cannot do is try to go inside the owner/admistrator folder because i get the message "access denied- this folder is unaccessible". When i go to "properities" it says it has 0 bytes however when i click on the "hard drive icon" itself it says it does have almost all the 120 GB I have saved on the administrators account. I already tried running it on safe mode but it just restarts over and over and doesn't go through.

So please tell me how can I possibly recover files (only want to recover few very important documents only) where windows is installed and I am not getting premission to check the "owner/adminstrators" folder and documents.

tomcruise3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Can't access owner folders/documents but other folders in master HD! Please help!

This is a shot in the dark, but it has worked for me before.

Use a Ubuntu or Kinnopix live boot disk on the second computer and you should be able to access the drive read only. What I prefer to do at that point is to copy the files to another external device like a thumb drive. I think you have to enable the "write" to the thumb drive or what ever else you use. Then, I think, you can access your files no matter the permissions.

Anyone Linux literate here feel free to jump in a correct me.

Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Default Re: Can't access owner folders/documents but other folders in master HD! Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel View Post
This is a shot in the dark, but it has worked for me before.

Use a Ubuntu or Kinnopix live boot disk on the second computer and you should be able to access the drive read only. What I prefer to do at that point is to copy the files to another external device like a thumb drive. I think you have to enable the "write" to the thumb drive or what ever else you use. Then, I think, you can access your files no matter the permissions.

Anyone Linux literate here feel free to jump in a correct me.
I never tried but i will do what you suggest. However, before i start this can you tell me where i can download this?

also does anyone know another method i can use?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcruise3230 View Post
I never tried but i will do what you suggest. However, before i start this can you tell me where i can download this?

also does anyone know another method i can use?
Click here
Burn to disk, reboot off the disk. Voila ubuntu live cd.

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

You can download Ubuntu here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

and Knoppix here:

http://www.knoppix.net/

You don't have to install them to the hard disk, just boot off of the CD and see if you can access your files. If it doesn't work, no harm done, but I remember using this method a while back and it worked for me.

[edit: I've got to learn to type faster, vampist left me in the dust!]
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Last edited by Russel : Today at 12:04 AM. Reason: excuse for being slower than vampist!
Lol. Tehe.

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Baseband Member

Quote:
You can download Ubuntu here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

and Knoppix here:

http://www.knoppix.net/

You don't have to install them to the hard disk, just boot off of the CD and see if you can access your files. If it doesn't work, no harm done, but I remember using this method a while back and it worked for me.

[edit: I've got to learn to type faster, vampist left me in the dust!]

which one from the two is the best option for me and do you think i should try first free recovery software like PC Inspector File Recovery 4, TestDisk & PhotoRec 6.10 cuz i don't want to damage my .txt files which are the only ones i want to recover
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Give Ubuntu a try first. I think it has a easyer interface to understand. At least for me.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

@ OP

You need to take ownership, no need for Ubuntu or knoppix just follow this from Microsoft

How to take ownership of a file and folder in Windows XP
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Baseband Member

Quote:
Give Ubuntu a try first. I think it has a easyer interface to understand. At least for me.

okay just one more thing: can i boot the computer from an external cd-rom drive instead of internal cd-rom drive using Ubuntu