cannot find server

cabra

Solid State Member
i have two computers both connected via ethernet modem/router.my desktop comp is working o.k.my laptop windowsme set-up cannot connect to internet i get the "cannot find server"error message.i have norton virus,ad-aware,etc and have defragged,and tried just about everything i know with no success. i did run spybot and deleted what files were suggested and may have gone wrong there.i cannot run system restore it is stuck on sept.
any help please?

So you have lights on both your laptop and the router showing that everything is connected? That's the first thing to check I suppose. Make sure the cables are good and that you are using the correct cables.

If that's good, check your network settings. Easiest way to do this is go to run and type cmd(or was it command for ME, I can't recall right off) Well, from the command prompt, type ping 192.168.1.1 That is what my linksys router uses. If you have a Belkin, I think most of them would use 192.168.2.1.

Bascially, I'm trying to ping the gateway. You could probably find what it is in your manual. If your laptop can't ping the router, you simply have the network misconfigured...

Back
Top Bottom