Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Default Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop



Can anyone help me find the ram? I'm trying to upgrade it.
__________________

danlessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 624
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

smallest one in the center, right below the battery release. and is stamped 'DIMM'
__________________

__________________
Asus M4A88T-M/USB3<>PhenomII X4 965e<>Asus ENGTX460
Seagate 320GB/1TB<>Win7 Ulti 64Bit<>Antec900
SyncMaster 2220WM<>HyperX 16gb<>Cooler Master 600W
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
smallest one in the center, right below the battery release. and is stamped 'DIMM'
thanks a lot. where is the ram though that's currently in it? Should I just ignore it and add the upgrade to the empty slot?
danlessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 624
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlessor View Post
thanks a lot. where is the ram though that's currently in it? Should I just ignore it and add the upgrade to the empty slot?
It's most likely built in, it should say in system information whats in there. and yes, you can just add some, but will help if you can match the onboard with the new stuff as close as possible.
__________________
Asus M4A88T-M/USB3<>PhenomII X4 965e<>Asus ENGTX460
Seagate 320GB/1TB<>Win7 Ulti 64Bit<>Antec900
SyncMaster 2220WM<>HyperX 16gb<>Cooler Master 600W
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
Captain Pooka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

You should look up the model number of the laptop and look up the specs. If it only allows a max of 1gb and it has 512 already in it (internally - under the plate you're seeing) and you put a 1gb stick in it it will either
a) not work or
b) only recognize 1gb of it and you wasted some money.
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
It's most likely built in, it should say in system information whats in there. and yes, you can just add some, but will help if you can match the onboard with the new stuff as close as possible.
More than likely it's actually under the keyboard. I've never personally seen one where the RAM was built in, but have seen many (including my current laptop) where one stick is under the keyboard.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
More than likely it's actually under the keyboard. I've never personally seen one where the RAM was built in, but have seen many (including my current laptop) where one stick is under the keyboard.
The netbook I own has the RAM built in (not under the KB) and several lower end OEM laptops do indeed have the RAM built into the system, usually soldered to the motherboard.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 80
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

Those Dell's have RAM that is under the keyboard. I have taken a handful of them apart.
nathandg2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
The netbook I own has the RAM built in (not under the KB) and several lower end OEM laptops do indeed have the RAM built into the system, usually soldered to the motherboard.
For the record, I never said it wasn't possible, only that I had not seen it
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Cannot find RAM slot in my laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
For the record, I never said it wasn't possible, only that I had not seen it
No worries, was just offering a counterpoint
__________________

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help loging into old account from BlueShadowz -Duck- Social Networking | Instant Messaging | Communications 4 11-28-2003 03:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0