Can your CPU run without a heatsink?

The system on my signature is slot1, i've accidently turned it on without the fan turned on, I unplugged the fan while putting in memory, and just turned it on after that.
it had reached the windows 2000 boot screen by the time I realized, so I decided to reboot and check the temperature, it was 4C higher than normal, I thought about trying to run it without the fan, but it would still be noisey as hell, old hard drives make so much noise.....

I must agree i'm not very likely to reach inside my case and rip off my fan and heatskin for shits and giggles.Unless it was somthing old and worthless, then I might.

The older slower CPUs of the 80's and the early 90's can withstand the heat much better than today's CPU. It's just so darn powerful these days that a heatsink and fan is required, no exceptions. THat is why if you choose to take off the cooling system designed for the CPU, you are risking failure to the CPU.

However, I have an Athlon 64 and my PC shut down when it got too hot. It's making me think that it does have some kind of thermal protection. Well either that or the CPU just stopped functioning and PC just restarted on it's own :p

TRDCorolla said:
The answer to that question is: "No". Unless they are internally cooled or water cooled.

Sorry for bringing this up, but newer AMD's and Intel do underclock when it gets to hot. "All the video proves is the "motherboard runing the the AMD chip didnt have that option where it lowers the clock speed if it gets to hot", one thing for sure is the Intel runing without a heatsink :D

Core 2 Duo does not require a fan, however I wouldn't risk it.I mean god its a fan justplug it in.

Back
Top Bottom