Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Can you run duel processors with a p3 board?

I noticed on my mother board i have a processor socket right next to the p3 that sits in the slot my p3 is 700mhz, and the mother board supports sd ram i have no idea how much or anything about max supports. My question is can i put another processor in that socket and run it with the P3? instead of it being square its has 2 slanted edges as well so can i only put a celeron or something in that line i noticed pentium,p2, and 4 are square except 1 edge is slanted. Also does anyone have an idea of whats the most i can go to? 2ghz?? for the processor? and maybe 512mb ram? i have almost 400mb and theres 3 ram sd slots.

thanks please get back to me

jvcallaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to NEED WOW NOW
Default Re: Can you run duel processors with a p3 board?

You just need to get a new computer. SD ram is EXTREMELY outdated, a P2 is very outdated, and even if you went and got a 2Ghz CPU, your FSB is probably set to around 200-400Mhz. MAJOR BOTTLE NECK!

You would be better off getting a new computer.
Your thinking of getting 512Mb of ram when 2Gb is standard now-a-days which is DDR2 memory. DDR3 is starting to move in, and your still on SD Ram.

If you don't have another computer that has better spec's, I would highly suggest you to get a new computer.

NEED WOW NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED WOW NOW View Post
You just need to get a new computer. SD ram is EXTREMELY outdated, a P2 is very outdated, and even if you went and got a 2Ghz CPU, your FSB is probably set to around 200-400Mhz. MAJOR BOTTLE NECK!

You would be better off getting a new computer.
Your thinking of getting 512Mb of ram when 2Gb is standard now-a-days which is DDR2 memory. DDR3 is starting to move in, and your still on SD Ram.

If you don't have another computer that has better spec's, I would highly suggest you to get a new computer.
He could be using this computer as a server in which case it would be the perfect machine, especially for a web server or something along those lines. As far as I know the only dual cpu desktop motherboard out there is Intel Skulltrail. As long as you have dual CPU sockets you can use two CPU's, but for us to be able to tell you what kind of processor you can use, we'd need more details about the motherboard, such as chipset, socket, etc. My guess is that if your processor in there now is 700Mhz then you won't be able to get any kind of 2Ghz processor that will work. The max CPU clock for a Pentium III is 1.4Ghz anyways.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

I've heard of dual P3's before, I don't know much about them though.
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Beta Member

Thanks, that is exactly what imdoing its basically a ftp server and web server. I do have another computer its a hp pavilion dv6000 that has a 1.6ghz dual core turion, with 3gigs of ram and a 60gig hard drive. But its a laptop and theres only so much you can do to them, i use it mostly for games ect... The P3 computer is just something i picked up that was cheap (20$) and instead of taking up space and memory on my laptop i could use it on this machine. I found a site thats selling the same identical board can you tell me what processors will fit and whats the max amount ghz? http://www.ciao.co.uk/PCCHIPS_P6BAT_...#productdetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hascet View Post
He could be using this computer as a server in which case it would be the perfect machine, especially for a web server or something along those lines. As far as I know the only dual cpu desktop motherboard out there is Intel Skulltrail. As long as you have dual CPU sockets you can use two CPU's, but for us to be able to tell you what kind of processor you can use, we'd need more details about the motherboard, such as chipset, socket, etc. My guess is that if your processor in there now is 700Mhz then you won't be able to get any kind of 2Ghz processor that will work. The max CPU clock for a Pentium III is 1.4Ghz anyways.
jvcallaghan is offline   Reply With Quote