CAN"T DECIDE - INTEL OR AMD!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, strictly the Hard disk types, amount of RAM or chip types are not strcitly about clock speeds.

However system speed is a rich tapestry where limiting factors and bottle neck may appear at any point.

And ultra fast processor is of no use whatsoever if it wastes more than half it's clock cycles having to shift information from the Ram to the HDD (especially if it is a slow ATA66 HDD drive).

At the end of the day, I'd still opt for the AMD option, simply because that leaves more cash in the pot for sorting out other limiting areas of a system, (most notably RAM).

If money was no object, they I think I'd have a Duel processor system (duel 3Ghz Pentium Itaniums) with 2Gig of Ram, zipping along with a nice 256Mb Graphics card, a nice array of raid stripped scsi disks for the ultra fast bus and ultra fast access times...

However it's a fact of life that money is a limiting factor...

Depends on how your servers have been configured, block and cluster sizes etc. Make a lot of difference on performance. Shouldn't really compare servers with home pc's

Although I've setup a dual xeon with 4x15000 cheetah drives, boot up in 4 secs. (after scsi card detect).

And Windows 2000 does NOT support Hyper-threading.

I'm running windows 2000 pro and I've had no performance issues although it doesn't support hyper threading.

Well your AMD doesn't have Hyper-threding so it's not an issue.

But when testing the speed of a machine, An operating system that doesn't support h/t obviously lowers the overall performance that would be achieved when using XP

Intel has Hyper-Threading; AMD has 64-bit. 64-bit is futureproof; Hyper-Threading is fast. It really depends on the sort of programs you intend to use in the future and how long you plan to have the computer as your main machine.

Also what you're using it for?

And personal opinions - most will have a preferance.

One word of warning, Nothing is future proof in the computing world.

Nobody does anything that a resonable 2Ghz AMD couldn't cope with. But I do run a lot of programs at once, with the P4 is does run them at once where as the AMD's all but pause the other apps until you get back to them.

By the time the 64Bit operating system is out AND stable this machine will be an average bit of kit and will most likely given to one of my family.

And at that time I'll be able to get a 64Bit chip that will make the current batch look very slow. All the hardware will have changed by then and a 3.4Ghz AMD 64 will look like a Duron/Celeron does now.

Ill be upgrading not because I have to, Just because I want to.

Well yeah - but at least it in the future will be able to run 64-bit applications; that is the future-proofing. Obviously the speed can't be future-proofed however much money you put into it but if you want to use it for a while and want to run high-end programs which may be 64-bit within that time frame then that is the best future-proofing available.

Yes, But how long will it be before software companies write 64Bit only apps?

By that time, who knows what machines will be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom