CAN"T DECIDE - INTEL OR AMD!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a Akasa 825 carnival cooler. They're under £10 and have a 80mm Fan. They come with a speed controller which can be automaticaly adjusted (temp sensor) or manually with the dial.

I used it on a 3Ghz AMD and could leave it on it's lowest setting, which you can bearly hear.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/

Hmm, just to add further confusion...

I use pentiums at work and whilst I find them to be quite speedy I think that the AMP I have at home seems much quicker.
It might be a bit of an unfair test since there are other factors to take into account, but here at work I have a 2.4G P4 with 256MB RAM at home I have an AMP 2000XP with 512MB ram. the AMD system positivly flys, whilst the intel system horribly chuggs.

Both are completly clean of spyware and virii
The Intel system runs windows 2000 whilst the AMD runs XP.

We also have a set of Duel Xeon machines, they too don't see to have the get up and go of a simmilar AMD based system.
(despite the Hyper threading of the Xeon meaning that the system registers 4 processors - which makes licensing a pane!). and despite the fact that they have over 1Gig of RAM. - they are database servers so you expect them to be slow.

To put it all into perspective, the system at home probably runs faster because it has more memory in it, but if I had gone with the more expensive Pentium option I wouldn't have been able to afford the extra RAM, - catch 22 situation.

Although I have 3 older computers that are running as servers at home they all have 256MB ram and they all have 333Mhz chips, there is a Cyrix, a True pentium and a Celeron, the intel does seem to perform better. though I cannot provide a comparisson with an AMD chip, and those systems are so old that they are practically worthless (both in value and for the purpose of speed comparrison).

Gibant, I can't beleive you threw out a perfectly good chip, you should have at least sold it on ebay! (could have been going into a system near me then!)

I've thrown quite a few machine parts away, because I could be arsed selling them. And to be fair an 850Mhz isnt that bad really. But when you can but a processor for £40 that is far quicker, what could you get for an old chip like that.

When i say old, I mean in my terms, not yours. :D

As for your systems, The hyperthreading does make a lot of difference as does the FSB. a 3Ghz P4 533 Bus is about the same speed as an 800Mhz bus working at 2.35Mhz (when tested).

Memory is a KEY factor, as soon as your machine has to swap page files, it doesn't matter what processor you have, the whole thing slows dramatically.

hmm, well the HDDs in the machines I said were duel xeons have only ultra fast SCSI disks in them as well as a load of ram, yes them still seem distinctly pokey, -perhaps it's just windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom