CAN"T DECIDE - INTEL OR AMD!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Gibby have you tried OCing with a desktop fan blowing into the PC? It's a bit of a ghetto setup but you may reach 4ghz.

I've got and 18" (fan that is). I'll give it a go although I think i'll need more than sound proof matting to quiten that mother. lol

Didn't try it on mine as the I have my fans is to create a vacuum affect to lessen noise, whilst giving good air flow.

But i did try it on an AMD2Ghz with an ECS motherboard :rolleyes:

The motherboard temp reduced by 6 degrees. Didnt make any real difference to the chip.

Points to remember. Make sure the fan is not in oscilation mode. :D

If using a floor standing fan (I was). Be sure to balance the pc well & that it is stable (had to catch it). :D

Overall score out of 10

Installation 3
Noise 1
Temp reduction 8
Ease of use 0

Overall 2

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a Pentium 4 and a Pentium 4 Norwood? Also, gibant, did you overclock your CPU that high with just case fans? I'm looking at getting the Abit IC7 as my mobo. Do Intel mobo's have good integrated sound, as in nforce2 quality? One more question. Do you guys think I could overclock fine with the stock heatsink/fan on the Intel? It looked very nice and I think it would be sufficient. Thanks for any help!

P4 come as Norwoods or Prescot's. The latter having twice the cache 1Mb.

So why go for the norwood, simple, the temperature. There have been reports that some prescots have run hot enough to start melting components solder points!

At least they run MUCH hotter than norwoods and therefore require a lot better cooling and are not so friendly for o/c.

Then theres the performance which is slightly slower, until you get over, around 3.8Ghz then the extra cache seems to start helping.

The stock fan is a little loud but does cool it very well. I ran mine at 3.84 with it. But the difference with a Zalman is :-

Idle temps are about the same but when under heavy load the stock let the cpu get to 55' whilst the zalman gets to around 46. And the Zalman is Very quiet.

So the norwood is bassically the standard Pentium 4? Wouldn't you think the AMD 3400+ would run faster with it's 1mb cache? What case do you have gibant? Thanks!

It's a Lian-Li, They are quite functional looking but are superb to work on. They also help cooling as they are all aluminium which dissipates heat well. If you look on there site it gives you temps of a 'standard' case and the same using there cases. about 10 degrees less.

And when I first got my case (I had a 3Ghz AMD XP then), it did indeed lower the temp 10 degrees from my previous nokia case.

As for the 3400+ and it's cache. In real life it appears the cache above 512k doesn't get used until get to 3.8Ghz or so. Even then, the increase in speed is very little.

Tests with the 3Ghz AMD 512K cache o/c 3.2Ghz againts 3.2Ghz 1Mb cache showed no difference in performance.

Thanks for the info. I was already looking at a Lian-Li Pc 60. It's a little pricey but I figure it's aluminum, and comes with 4 case fans! Thanks for all your help!

Damn sorry my ghetto setup didn't work for ya.. I'm still looking for a CPU cooling solution, I just bought an athlon 2200+ barton core (highly overclockable) so I def. need more cooling than my volcano. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom