Can someone sort me out a wireless LAN?

BuzzStPoint said:
Computer 2 can be wireless like computer 1
They show that because the router I have selected can have a wired computer as well.. I like these with both because some of my friends dont have wireless, so they plug in..

You can take a wireless card and put it in computer1 and make it like the one on the bottom.

When you run the wizard in the router control panel it will ask you for your ppoe settings,.. user/pass for your DSL. this will make the connection "always on".. So when one computer turns on it will have internet.

Ok, sounds good. Now a portion of my mind can rest at peace knowing that. :) I'll keep that in mind when I start a wireless network. That's pretty good how they make routers where you can have a combination of wired and wireless all in one.

I have been running a Dlink DI-614+ rev b for awhile now. They dont make that one anymore. I Run my computer on the wired, My wife runs hers on the wireless, I have a laptop that is wireless Plus my buddies. they are all wireless with an exception of one.. he plugs in wired also.

I have never had a problem with this setup.. I set up my parents house all with Dlink equipment. They have 5 computers/laptops in the house.. 6 when I come over. No problems there..

A good friend of mine had a Netgear router. Always had and still has trouble with it.. he can't play online games.. A few minutes of that then the router blocks the connection. No internet, has to wait. I used to have a netgear ethernet card.. The thing was sometimes buggy. Thats the only experience I have had with netgear.

I run with the D-Link DI524. Old but still reliable. I run 3 wirelesses and 3 wired (sometimes 4 as I am building something new or repairing it) Never had an issue with it.

How many PCs can a typical wireless router support? I see some models and they have like 5 ports on them so I'm assuming maximum of 4-5 PCs wired and tons of wireless PCs?

I think that they are defaulted to the same amount as wired ports that are used but am not sure. Just seems that that is what stuck in my mind about the subject.

Wireless routers can handle up to 255 wireless connections. The question is, can your internet connection handle.

Lets say, you have a LAN party. you have a DSL 256/128. Connecting up the 8 people to the net and playing games, You may notice a little lag but not much.. Now you play a LAN game. Here you wont notice any difference.

Back
Top Bottom