Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Question Can someone recommend a GOOD external hard drive brand?

I am looking to buy a TB external hard drive for storage of large video files. These files will need to be occasionally accessed for editing, but the hard drive will be mainly used for storage. I have looked on many websites (NewEgg, etc.) and it seems every brand has people who love it and people who swear it is junk, so I am confused. I would like to hear from any of you that have and/or use an external hard drive of similar size - what brand and what are the pros and cons you have found? I am not too worried about price as long as I get a GOOD reliable drive that will last for many years.

---Some really ancient desktop computers with outdated processors, memory, and operating systems, a 7 year old Dell laptop that is so slow my one-legged brother can outrun it, and a new Dell Studio Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz 1066Mhz 6M L2 Cache, 8GB, DDR2 800MHZ 2 DIMM and most importantly a cool purple-striped lid---
CoolRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Can someone recommend a GOOD external hard drive brand?

seagate and western digital are tops dogs of hardrives

VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Solid State Member

samsung, in my opinion. this is one of the best harddrives out there for 50 bucks-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-181-_-Product

HURRY this sells fast fast fast. it just came back on the market, buy it
Dzwestwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

thats a internal he i looking fr external
Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Yes, I am looking for an external hard drive that I can use with multiple computers. I have been doing a little research and I probably want one that has Firewire and USB capabilities. I am confused as to the type of firewire - I have a firewire installed on one of my computers. How can you tell if it is an IEEE 1394a or IEEE1394b?

I looked at the Seagate and Western digital as recommended and there are SO many different models I am still confused.
---Some really ancient desktop computers with outdated processors, memory, and operating systems, a 7 year old Dell laptop that is so slow my one-legged brother can outrun it, and a new Dell Studio Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz 1066Mhz 6M L2 Cache, 8GB, DDR2 800MHZ 2 DIMM and most importantly a cool purple-striped lid---
Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

what size you looking for?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Baseband Member

I am looking for at least 1TB. I think that should take care of my needs nicely, though I wouldn't say no to a 1.5 or 2TB. I'd like to stay under $150 if possible...my main concern is quality and reliability.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148409 - plug and play/500gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148356 1tb
Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN46 View Post
Do you have this one?

I notice it is USB only. Is there a big benefit to getting one that is firewire capable? I have a firewire on my desktop, is it a lot faster/easier to use a firewire rather than USB?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRabbit View Post
I am looking for at least 1TB. I think that should take care of my needs nicely, though I wouldn't say no to a 1.5 or 2TB. I'd like to stay under $150 if possible...my main concern is quality and reliability.
Are you opposed to building your own? You simply by the external enclosure and the hard drive and then attach the HDD inside the x-enclosure. That's the easiest way to ensure quality and reliablity. Most of these off the shelf externals offer no cooling...not good!

If I can suggest something, I just ordered two of these combo deals off of NewEgg (I wouldn't normally do this, but the combo deal is basically throwing in a free docking station AND giving you 15 bucks off the hard drive...which is a wonderful hard drive at that!)

Here's the HDD.

And here's the external enclosure I would recommend. I have used 3 of these. All have worked BEAUTIFULLY (they are USB + eSATA..you can use either; comes with the power adapter).

Total cost = $86 + $40 = $126.

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote