Can someone help me, is this laptop worth it?

do u guys want me to take pics?? AND CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX THE HEATING ISSUE? i cant even install windows for 30mins then it will just turn off cuz the bottom got to hot. and its not the battery pack that is over heating it is the like the heatsink or copper coils in the bottom back of the laptop below the screen. soo i'm in a dilemna here so pleez help

My friend is selling me a laptop for cheap, and i dont know if i should take it.

Here are the things that is wrong with it.

- there is no windows installed (hdd wiped clean)
- the battery pack loses life as soon as AC power is cut off ( which mean needs a new battery pack)
- the laptop over heats after being on for like 40ish mins or so ( I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX THAT ) or what is wrong there
-theres marks and scratches all around the laptop. (but not on the screen)
- and the worse is that the barcode/serial number is scratched off from the back. SO I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO INSTALL DRIVERS ON THIS THING IF I INSTALL WINDOWS XP ON IT.

NOW THE GOOD -

- it has an 80 gig hdd
- 512 mb RAM
- 3.2 P4 processor
- built in wireless and lan

and yea

soo should i get this guys??? i'll take pics if necessary.
i'm just trying to figure out why it heats up then shuts off..

you see thats what i dont get, laptops whent from having high clocked p4's down to celerons at 1.7 ish and pentium m's is this drop in clock speed the same as the core2's like different architecture ?

edit. you could give somethign liek this a shot.,

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemVie...urce=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK

ooo thanks!!!! well i know that would work and cool it down, but wat i am wondering is how to fix the heatsink issue itself? ne ideas?

this is going out on a limb coz i have absolutely no idea about laptop heatsinks,

you could try if its not coldered to the CPU taking it apart and applying a decent thermal pasted ????

i have no idea if its the same principle with laptops as it is with desktops ? and seeing as it is such a high clocking pentium 4 you could try lower the FSB and lower the voltage using software ?

this is going out on a limb coz i have absolutely no idea about laptop heatsinks,

you could try if its not coldered to the CPU taking it apart and applying a decent thermal pasted ????

i have no idea if its the same principle with laptops as it is with desktops ? and seeing as it is such a high clocking pentium 4 you could try lower the FSB and lower the voltage using software ?

actually, I believe I read somewhere that clogged fans are the real culprit in laptop overheating most of the time, they get clogged and the airflow, limited as it is to begin with, gets reduced dramatically...

try cleaning the cpu fan really, really good and see what happens...

^^ You would have to clean it out real good, that's the first thing I'd do. While I had the laptop apart I would reapply the thermal paste to the processor. I wouldn't count on that cooling pad to do crap, I used to have one for the laptop in my sig and it was worthless. For $50 I would do it, I would work on the overheating issue before buying the battery though since it still runs fine off the power cord. That way you minimize the amount of money you waste if you can't get it running. Good thing is for $50-$100 bucks you could part it out and make your money back, I bet you could get 100-150 for the screen by itself.
Just be careful, if it's been overheated a lot it may have other problems due to that. It's going to be a risk and if you hesitant about taking it apart I wouldn't think about it. Good luck.

alright so i should take off the back of the laptop and clean the cpu etc etc?? i was also thinking of blowing some canned air on the laptop to see if i can get dust outta there.

and DOES NE ONE HAVE NE IDEA HOW I COULD POSSIBLY UPLOAD THE DRIVERS ON THE LAPTOP WHEN I DONT HAVE THE SERIAL NUMBER OR MODEL OF THE TOSHIBA SATELITE?

Laptops went from P4 to Celerons because of energy and heat issues.

To solve your problem here's what I would do.

1) Buy a compressed air can and blow all the dust away
2) Under-clock your CPU to about 2.5GHZ, maybe less
3) Buy a cooling pad

I think that's the best you will be able to do in order to keep your laptop cool.

edit: For your driver problem:

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager

Then right click on the device and have Windows "update drivers".

edit2: DO NOT TOUCH THE HEATSINK NOR ATTEMTP TO REMOVE IT. Leave that for last. A good blow with canned air will clean it up just fine.

Back
Top Bottom