Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Can someone help me fix my computer, or if I can't can I get vista on it.

My other computer isn't working. Yesterday I downloaded a discography of an artist, I put it in Itunes and I started syncing it into my ipod (it was around 300 songs) and left it to sync. Later when I went to check the screen was shaking (the image not the monitor itself) I turned off the computer and now when I turn it on, it won't go to the loading or log in screen.

It goes to the regular Hp screen when it starts (still shaking) and it say at the bottom: Escape for Boot menu, F1 for setup, and F10 for safe mode. It won't go into safe mode, when I go to boot menu it says

Select a boot first device
CD ROM Group
:2nd master: HP DVD writer 740b

"Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter".

Here's some video's (terrible Quality) but it should help you know what i'm talking about.

Can somebody help me to see what's wrong. I don't have the system disc. I think it's running on XP Service pack 1, I don't think it's media center edition, but I'm not sure.

I went into setup and change the boot priority, but it still won't load.

If I can't fix it, can i just buy Windows Vista disc and install that on the computer, I don't care if I lose everything.

Any help would be great, thank's to anybody who can help.

Here's a better quality video. The audio didn't put on right, and it's really loud so you might want to turn off your volume or lower it.

I tried to use another monitor (the one that I'm using right now and it's still blurry, so I know it's not the monitor.

Please help ?

Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Can someone help me fix my computer, or if I can't can I get vista on it.

My first guess would be a virus.
Did you install any new hardware?

Toshiba A135 -Vista Pentium Dual Core 1.6 ghz. 1.5gb ram
www.localtechnet.net - Support me, click the ads!!
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Can someone help me fix my computer, or if I can't can I get vista on it.

Sounds like the primary hard drive has died, is the DVD the only drive recognised in the bios?
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Beta Member

Yes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Assuming there isn't a floppy disk in the floppy drive (if you even have one that is) about all you can do is check the cables and hope like hell one has come loose and that is all it is.

If possible swap cables to see if it is a faulty cable.

Can you try the drive in another computer to rule out a faulty m/board connection?

If all of that doesn't give a result I would say that you'll need a new drive.
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to jonathansantos Send a message via MSN to jonathansantos Send a message via Yahoo to jonathansantos

I agree with "A True Folder," but you should also reset the BIOS to it's default settings, just to avoid any problems with that. It is possible for BIOS to become corrupt, but still be accessible.
jonathansantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Beta Member

Ok, I'll check if any wires have come undone. The Drive your talking about. I'm not sure I know which one it is. Is it the long one that locked in with 2 small white tabs.

Is this it.

If it's not can you point out which one it is.

Now when I turn it on, the screen doesn't turn on and the Keyboard doesn't either, the Scroll, Caps, and Num lock buttons will turn on for like a half a second and then turn off and the keyboard won't turn on.

But it's on and the fan's are running so is the DVD drive but the screen and the keyboard don't turn on, and when it's on it doesn't turn off when I click the power button. I'll turn it off then turn it back on but after that i can't turn it off, I'll have my finger pushing the power button and it'll turn off for like a second or half a second and then turn back on.

When they did turn on (screen and keyboard ) I'd have to turn it off and on like 5 times, and unplug the power chord.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

mate, pics 1 & 2, those are memory modules (sticks of ram), and DIMM slots, you really have no idea do you?

I would suggest you take it to a shop and have them look at it for you.

btw, the hard drive (in the second picture) is on the right mid picture, it has a flat red SATA cable and a red/yellow/orange/black power lead connected to it.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Balic Yoakishi

not to mean but u truly need to go to a shop to get it fixed

run 3 quad core computers 24/7
One gaming
the other two for no reason
i built for fun
Balic Yoakishi is offline   Reply With Quote