Can someone help with in fresh install of XP Please?

Alex J

Beta member
update, see post 2!! Got internet but having real problems with monitor / display

Hello everyone. I hope this is in the right forum. Apologies for what's probably a very dull and straight forward problem. I'm a bit stuck in the dark ages with my desktop compared to a lot of you I would imagine! I honestly don't have the money available right now to upgrade properly.

Anyhow's........

I've reinstalled XP on my Dell Dimension 4600 series (so this PC is about 7 or 8 yrs old). It's currently got only 256mb RAM in it, but I have 1.5GB RAM in another Dell Dimsension tower I have here, planning on moving that RAM over to this tower when I finish the install of XP properly and get this driver issue fixed.

Anyway, the XP disk I had must of been older than the original Windows installed on the tower I am using as initially it would not let me install, so I had to format the partitions from a boot start up and then install this disk of XP which comes with Service Pack 1a so I'm assuming this version must about about 10 years old!

Okay two big problems........

First is the fresh installed XP tower won't recognise my cable modem which is a Scientific Atlanta epc2100R2 which I've had for must be over 5 -years, probably longer It works fine on the other tower (the one where I have not messed about with windows!). I've tried downloading the suggested drivers from their website. I don't have any spare disks to hand so I downloaded them onto a USB memory stick but I just can't get the other tower with the fresh install to "take the drivers" or whatever the term is.

Do I need drivers to be burned to a disc or is a USB stick adequate?

Is part of this problem that the new install of XP was done from such an old XP disc, or is there another way (or several!) that I have stuffed this up?

Similar issue for the ACER X193W monitor I have, after install of XP all the display stuffed up (Drivers I assume for monitor?). I downloaded the driver Google pointed in the direction too for this model monitor and tried to upload it on fresh install XP tower but can't work this out!

I plugged back in the original Dell monitor that came with the Tower in the first place and it's a better picture but it's still not right in that the screen is about 3" too far to the left on the display.

Again, down to me installing a too old version of XP here?

Am I right in thinking this is all about Drivers? Obviously ignorance and stupidity play a role!!!!!

U P D A T E !!!!!

I sorted out the internet connection, downloaded a LAN driver I think it was.

only problem now is despite being on-line and updating Window's from window's update, both monitors I use are messed up, especially with regards the picture being over to the left of the screen (i.e. you can barely see the START menu) and the final 20% or so on the RIGHT of the screen is just black. It's worse on the ACER 19" monitor I have which is fairly modern but is even an issue for the DELL 15" monitor that came with the PC.

Nothing I do in Control Panel (appearance and display) helps.

I tried getting the Acer driver but that hasn't helped, or I haven't installed it right.

I would have thought that once you plug the monitor in then Window's would find the right driver for it and install it, but that doesn't work on either of the monitors, is there something I have to do manually that you know of?

Cheers

I had basically the exact same problem, so I think I can help. I googled around for a while until I found Device Doctor, which I've successfully used on I think 5 newly installed OS's. Anyways, using the computer that you used to post this thread, download the Device Doctor installer and put it on your flash drive, then put the flash drive into your old computer and install it there. If your computer doesn't recognize the flash drive, then burn the installer to a disc and insert the disc in your old computer. After installing the program, open it and click "Begin Scan" or a button that sounds similar. After scanning, if you don't have an internet connection, an error message will come up asking to save the results to a file, in which you should save to your flash drive/burn to another CD (sorry). If you have an internet connection, I think it automatically opens the webpage for you, listing all the needed drivers for your system. Download all the files needed, and install them directly on your computer if you have an internet connection. If not, download the files and put them on a flash drive/burn to another CD (once again, sorry), then put it in your old computer and install them there. I'm sure Device Doctor will find the right driver for your Graphics Card. Download Device Doctor at:
Download Drivers with Device Doctor

If this method doesn't help, reply back and I'll try to keep helping you until you're okay!

I had basically the exact same problem, so I think I can help. I googled around for a while until I found Device Doctor, which I've successfully used on I think 5 newly installed OS's. Anyways, using the computer that you used to post this thread, download the Device Doctor installer and put it on your flash drive, then put the flash drive into your old computer and install it there. If your computer doesn't recognize the flash drive, then burn the installer to a disc and insert the disc in your old computer. After installing the program, open it and click "Begin Scan" or a button that sounds similar. After scanning, if you don't have an internet connection, an error message will come up asking to save the results to a file, in which you should save to your flash drive/burn to another CD (sorry). If you have an internet connection, I think it automatically opens the webpage for you, listing all the needed drivers for your system. Download all the files needed, and install them directly on your computer if you have an internet connection. If not, download the files and put them on a flash drive/burn to another CD (once again, sorry), then put it in your old computer and install them there. I'm sure Device Doctor will find the right driver for your Graphics Card. Download Device Doctor at:
Download Drivers with Device Doctor

If this method doesn't help, reply back and I'll try to keep helping you until you're okay!

Thanks a lot for this BirdyMan, thanks for taking the time, I realised I posted this in wrong forum as well (hardware). I will reply in more detail later, late for work!!!! Speak later, thanks, Alex

Back
Top Bottom