can it serve a propose anymore

amp27

Daemon Poster
i have a old dell machine sitting here and and dont no what to with. it runs at 800 mhz and intel petuim II. dell dimension L688r

i was hoping i could make a home server or something like that.

A Linux "lunch box" would be a thought for any system that old and quite antiquated at this point. If you like occasionally running an old 9X version or dos even 3.1 find some old outdated software disks and run them.

A few if those old 95 games can't detect newer SB model cards let alone the X-Fi series. Doom I, Quake, or the Linux flavor of your choice would be a thought.

Is it possible to move over those components to another case?

I have an acer and want to slowly upgrade it
Can the parts all be moved over to a full tower?

why would you want to upgrade with my parts. it is running on less then half a gb of ram and at 800 mhz and onboard video. no sata. no daul or tri channal ram. the mobo is a from facter tpye and is held in place by a metal spring. and i tried uploaded win xp pro to it and it would not even start

i have a old dell machine sitting here and and dont no what to with. it runs at 800 mhz and intel petuim II. dell dimension L688r

i was hoping i could make a home server or something like that.

The Pentium II max speed was 450MHZ..

You have a PIII, you can play quake 3 on that nicely :)

Is the cpu oced at all? I can't even find a listing on EBay for that old boat unless you misspelled the model number.

As far as a server case you would need at least one large capacity drive if not several where that would be out for the older compact prebuilds. That likely sees a small 8-20gb hard drive 40gb tops.

Well? What's stopping you from making a home server? You're terrible spelling?

How about YOUR terrible grammar???

I would rather you didn't have a LAN party with these computers, ok? So cancel it asap. Thanks.

Never have I seen so many stupid answers in one thread. Y'all are useless.

Yank them like ur pullin a tooth.

lol idiots.

Thanks everyone. I've since stopped inhaling the spray. Although I have a craving for it every now and again.

I just blow with my mouth after drinking a can of compressed air...

Wow, stratusdodge, you are on quite the streak. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I won't be touching that one with a 10ft. pole.

For an OS to use on that old P II or P III once you get that figured out you could easily grab an old 98SE disk off of Ebay to keep it going if you are wary of Linux. The practicality of simply not bartering it off at a repair shop as a parts box for a few bucks isn't there unless you want to run an old 9x version or a small distro.

Back
Top Bottom