Can a sata drive work with an ide motherboard?

Novice2000

Baseband Member
I have an older computer that I bought right before sata drives came out. I ordered a dvd/cd burner from the internet. Stupid me didn't even take into consideration if it was an ide drive. It isn't, it is a sata drive and my motherboard doesn't support sata, only ide. Is there anyway I can make a sata drive work with a non-sata motherboard? Does anyone sell adapter cables for this? I asked best buy and radio shack, but they don't carry anything like that. I looked on newegg and tigerdirect, but can't seem to find anything, unless I'm missing something. Not only don't I want to go through the hassle of returning it and buying an ide drive, but this drive only cost like $25. The cheapest ide on newegg's site, where I bought this one, is like $50 and I don't think this is worth it for a computer this old. So do some type of adapter cables exist for making this work, and if so, where do I find them?

This will basically turn your internal optical drive (or hard drive for that matter) into an external USB drive.

This will basically turn your internal optical drive (or hard drive for that matter) into an external USB drive.

How does that work. If I were to guess, I would think that there is supposed to be a usb cable coming out of that gizmo, and then hooking a sata data cable to it and then to the dvd drive. And if this is correct, where does the power cable hook up?

an IDE to SATA adapter "should" work, though there is only one review and it doesn't look all that promising, but you never know, maybe that guy screwed something up...? it'd also be a bit cheaper than the first option posted...

Using an SATA to IDE convertor with an optical drive would be iffy at best. Them things barely work on hard drives. Your best bet would be to return the drive for an IDE version to avoid any problems.

Or buy a PCI SATA RAID controller for now and future use? If I remember correctly, you can get one that controls RAID and non-RAID setups. Plus, you'll have the full benefit of a SATA drive.

Or buy a PCI SATA RAID controller for now and future use? If I remember correctly, you can get one that controls RAID and non-RAID setups. Plus, you'll have the full benefit of a SATA drive.
I used one of them. I have one going spare, infact.

Back
Top Bottom