can a psu make your computer not boot but run

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
okay well i tryed the psu from my dell and it worked on my new motherboard, but i try to hook up the old one and everything turns on but seem's to run extremely slow, like the fan's and stuff, also the harddrive doesnt boot, how is this possible from just a power supply?

It's either

A) Simply not powerful enough to run the machine completely
B) Some of the cords are bad
C) It's defective

well it was previously shutting off, its not defective for sure its not A either because it ran it before, so mabie its b? (had since like 2001) i already have another psu on the way so im hoping so badly that its that because that is the second thing that i buy to try to fix my computer, haha thanks

Uhh, well, I noticed when I didn't have some of the cords into a few parts of my PC when I installed my new 400W, the stuff would work odd, the GPU's fan would work, turn off, work, and it wouldn't really start well, I just made sure everything was tight in there and it worked then. I dunno if that's your problem lol, you could try it but I've never heard of anyone as careless as me and not pushing the cords in enough but, if you've had it since 2001 I'd get a new PSU anyway, I'm surprised my PSU I had since 2004 that came with my machine was still working until I got a new one. But 2001? Dang. I'd just wait for the new PSU.

hahaha yeah it was always working perfectly fine and all that no big whoop haha not now though, damn i swear one thing after another, i just cant wait to see how this looks on my 40" in hd! 3-5 day's only, im glad i have stuff to do to occupy me or else i would go nuts! its been 2 week's without my computer now haha its been boring...... very very boring

I've never actually seen anything in High Definition. But, it's good you have something to occupy yourself with.

i didnt think the hd radeon could outut high def and specially on a 40" tv!!! well hope the power supply solves the problem, it sounds like it will.

i didnt think the hd radeon could outut high def
What do you think the "HD" in HD 38xx stood for? :D

You can read more about HD here: ATI Radeon™ HD 3800 Series – Overview

i try to hook up the old one and everything turns on but seem's to run extremely slow, like the fan's and stuff, also the harddrive doesnt boot, how is this possible from just a power supply?
Your power supply is definitely bad. It may have a bad capacitor or some other problem that is not allowing it to fully output the needed power.

well i got a vga to hd conversion wire, now i need the damn wires to put it to my tv, just one thing after another i swear haha

Back
Top Bottom