Can programs record your information if they detect a pirated serial?

mitts2010

Baseband Member
I know programs can detect a pirated serial (like Nero). But will they record your information and sue you, or just tell you you can't use the program?

They usually give you the benefit of the doubt. Alot of the programs state you may be a victim of piracy. Some people get there computers built for them and the guy puts all pirated stuff in it. At most you just would not be able to use it.

Thanks, I "received" a copy of Nero 8 from someone. Because I lost my installation disk, but still had the serial. But before I had a chance to go into the Control Center and change the serial it came up with "This serial number is pirated...please buy a copy from the Nero Webstore, etc." After that message it took me to the control center, and I entered my serial, and everything is fine now. But is Nero going to come after me?

Thanks, I "received" a copy of Nero 8 from someone. Because I lost my installation disk, but still had the serial. But before I had a chance to go into the Control Center and change the serial it came up with "This serial number is pirated...please buy a copy from the Nero Webstore, etc." After that message it took me to the control center, and I entered my serial, and everything is fine now. But is Nero going to come after me?

Long answer short, no they won't.

Thanks...wouldn't it be illegal for them to collect information about you without telling you?

A grey area imo, it would depend a lot on your countrys laws, I'd like it to a burglar alarm in some ways if it were to happen.

The programme realises it is pirated and sends a message to its makers, much like an alarm detecting intrusion and ringing.

I did have a copy of 3DMark06 given to me once that had a bodgy key associated with it, I received an email iirc from Futuremark stating that it was pirated so my info was collected and used in that case, turned out to be of no consequence I just emailed back saying I had purchased it second hand in good faith and once notified it was pirated I had removed it from my system, never heard from them again.

Honestly, even if nero came after you (which I doubt they will) as long as you can show them a real product key, what you did was legal.

The thing to remember when installing stuff like that is not to register it unless it specifically tells you to, just install it with the key and don't run the updates unless its an ANTI VIRUS program, unless you have a crack of course.

Back
Top Bottom