Can not boot up computer.

not$So$shabby

Solid State Member
When I try to start up my computer, I get a message that reads "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad" on start up

I can not do anything, can not boot from floppy, can not boot from cd room, can't run anything other than bios and even when I change setting in bios, the bios does not save the settings when I click save and exit. I've had this problem for months on my other computer and I'm trying again tonight to fix it. I'm at a point with internet searching where the only thing I have not tried to resolve this specific problem is...

"Change Flash Recovery jumper to the recovery mode position. " This is the first step to a series of steps that might solve my problem. I have no idea what a flash recovery jumper looks like, and I don't know what the recovery position is. This sounds like wires in the computer to me... anyone know what this means?

The funny thing is, when I searched for this exact string on google "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad.", the third or forth result was an Intel support page, with the title of my exact motherboard, saying "Intel® Desktop Board D850GB - Get a "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad "

So I see how I'm predisposed to have this issue, but the page didn't help at all, and it was as if it's underlying message was: we f--ed up making this motherboard, so we're trying to hide that fact. This problem is not a battery problem, it's not new hardware I installed, I can not save changes in the bios. So what does this mean: Change Flash Recovery jumper to the recovery mode position.

Try this remove the motherboard battery for 30 seconds - 1 minutes, this will reset the bios, if this doesn't work try to remove one sdram at once and look if it comes up, if not, what type of procesor do you have?

Angel

Search your motherboard manual on how to reset your CMOS. Its uaually a button, or switches a jumper on your motherboard.

angbermu said:
Try this remove the motherboard battery for 30 seconds - 1 minutes, this will reset the bios
I've done this before when I first had the issue and it didn't work

remove one sdram at once and look if it comes up
i tried this earlier today, someone suggested removing all the ram except for one. My computer did not turn on and the computer kept beeping until i put back the other three rams.

what type of procesor do you have?
Angel
Pentium® 4 Processor 1.3GHz

here's a link to my exact computer
http://www.powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=8005

allenn812 said:
Search your motherboard manual on how to reset your CMOS. Its uaually a button, or switches a jumper on your motherboard.
I don't have a manual for this motherboard, and I'm looking online for where exactly the jumper is on this board. So far, haven't found anything. Where would I likely find a jumper on a motherboard? I'm probably going to look now, see if i can find a switch...

Back
Top Bottom