Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Red face Can my laptop support 16gb ram or 8gb?

Hi,

I have a dell XPS 15 (L501x) laptop.
Specs are:

Windows 7 home premium (64-bit)
CPU: intel i3 380M @2.53ghz
RAM: 4GB
Intel HD Graphics
Nvidia 420M GPU

Is it possible that my laptop's ram be upgraded to 16 gb?

Thanks

sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Can my laptop support 16gb ram or 8gb?

Why don't you just go to Dell's website, and look up the specs on your laptop?

How can anyone here answer you for certain, unless they have the exact same notebook.

If I had to guess, I'd say 6GB is probable, 8GB is possible, and 16GB is rather unlikely.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
MMM
Daemon Poster

6GB ram is maximum what your laptop takes.

you could have googled that answer like I did, took only 2 minutes to find.

Cheers
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
6GB ram is maximum what your laptop takes.

you could have googled that answer like I did, took only 2 minutes to find.

Cheers
And you apparently found the wrong answer . . . .

Dell XPS 15 (L501X) notebook Memory RAM Upgrade

C'mon guys do we really want to be shooting people down for coming to "our" forum and creating posts and helping our member base grow?

Seriously i don't know the answer the link above suggests 8Gb but i have just read "yes on Google" another forum post that states this CAN take individual 8Gb sticks in each slow so yes 16Gb.

Can i ask why do you want to know, do you just want to know or are you looking at putting 16Gb in, because honestly this would be a complete waste.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
...do we really want to be shooting people down for coming to "our" forum and creating posts and helping our member base grow?...

I'm sorry you got the wrong impression. No one is "shooting anyone down." It's just that many folks ask questions that are not reasonable for anyone to answer unless they Google it, and do a little reading. In cases like that, the OP is the best one to do that, because that is always the best way to learn.

I've seen threads that ask, "I have a xxx-xxx computer, can someone tell me what processor it uses?" Or, "My computer is a laptop, model, xx-xxxx, is the hard drive replaceable?" The best advice is for the OP to look it up himself, and then come back and ask questions if he doesn't understand something.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456

I agree with your opinion about people should google first but in this instance I googled and found several different answers, at which point I would do the same and come to a forum to seek further advice.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Baseband Member

yes, I did google it, but mostly it said it can support 8gb but in a few places it said it can support 16gb, so I wasn't sure so I asked here, but still here I'm getting different answers, so which is it, 8gb or 16gb lol?

Also probably if 16gb is supported, it would probably be a waste, so i think 8gb is good enough. Although I am trying to run multiple OS's on my laptop using VMware and run Microsoft sharepoint 2010 on it...

Now if I wanted to upgrade my laptop's ram, how do I know which ram type is what I need?

Here is the specs of my laptop:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48932382/cpuz-specs.html
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Golden Master

I am actually looking at upgrading ram and found this site which has a program you can run and tells that compatible ram you can buy and what sizes Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
MMM
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
And you apparently found the wrong answer . . . .

Dell XPS 15 (L501X) notebook Memory RAM Upgrade

C'mon guys do we really want to be shooting people down for coming to "our" forum and creating posts and helping our member base grow?

Seriously i don't know the answer the link above suggests 8Gb but i have just read "yes on Google" another forum post that states this CAN take individual 8Gb sticks in each slow so yes 16Gb.

Can i ask why do you want to know, do you just want to know or are you looking at putting 16Gb in, because honestly this would be a complete waste.
If I was going to shoot some one down you will all know about it.
OK So I made a mistake in my answer on the ram, no big deal but I will recommend sneaky to go to the dell website since he will have the relevant ID codes on his laptop (bottom of the case)..... He then should be able to access his laptop details from their support pages and know exactly what size ram his laptop will support, plus any other info on it.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
I am actually looking at upgrading ram and found this site which has a program you can run and tells that compatible ram you can buy and what sizes Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

Just a note to anyone using sites like this Crucial Scanner.

You still need basic computer knowledge, and need to research your requirements.

Here's a perfect example. I used the Crucial Scanner, and it correctly identified my system, and it's memory. Then it went on, (as you see below), to recommend an upgrade to me.

If I accepted that, without any further research, I would buy their 32GB kit, or some other brand selling 32GB, only to find out that Windows Home Premium only supports a maximum of 16GB.

I have either, just wasted a lot of money, or I now need to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro in order to use all that DDR3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desktop_2012_11_06_06_37_18_456.jpg (22.9 KB, 2 views)

Tags
dell, laptop, ram