Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Can this be my HDD?

Hey guys, been awhile since i posted here, but just looking for a second opinion.

Ok so this is what happened:

I went to reformat my computer because it had gotten a virus and I was really due for one anyways. Well I do what I normally do, boot from cd, blah blah blah, install windows done.

I used a windows XP SP1 update disc which I always use to reformat with no proplems.

So I am at my fresh install of windows sp1:

I get my network drivers in so I can start updating,

I get to the SP2 update and I install it, when it goes to shut down after restarting it freezes up, I can hear my HDD doing a *click* then it spins up. and does that every 10 seconds or so.

I shut it off manually and it wouldn't boot up all the way. So I figure I just got unlucky and go to reinstall again.

boot from cd, blah blah blah, install windows done.

K back to the updates:

SP2 goes fine this time. Restart. Next update is SP3. This time it blue screens when it gets to Running Processes after Install or something like that. I restart and it tries to rollback to SP2 on its own and it gets to the last step (another thing about running processes) and It sits there for awhile, and I stat to hear the *click* spin up sound from my HDD again.

After I restart manually again it goes to windows and goes to the desktop like nothing ever happened. I figured it rolled back to SP2. I go to updates to try the SP3 update again, but there are no updates. I go to add remove prog to see if it shows i still have SP3 installed (which it does) and I try to remove it. Comp locks up Click spin sound again.

After another install with the same outcome, I grab an old HDD I have laying around and throw it in and start to install windows to that. Well I am here now running SP3 fine on this old HDD no problems.

So... Im guessing its my HDD... Could that really be it, and I didnt just have 3 unlucky installs?

Thanks for reading if you made it this far

Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Can this be my HDD?

Yup, definitely sounds like a bad hard drive. You can go to the manufacturer's website and download a utility that will test the drive for any errors or problems. If it's still under warranty, you can get a replacement.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
In Runtime

Default Re: Can this be my HDD?

Thanks for the second opinion. I figured as much but didn't want to go through all this trouble with it not being the problem.

My drive WAS still under warranty, which was a nice surprise, I thought it was only a 3 year warranty on it wich would have been up by now, but it was a 5 year.

Hopefully WD has my HDD in stock, unless they wanna upgrade me to a 150G [/wishful thinking]

Thanks again Rooster