can a linux notebook be changed to windows vista?

electronic cigarette

Beta member
Hello all,
Can anyone tell meif it is possible to replace a linux notebook to windows vista because I find it impossible to get software for my linux like Adobe software. The tech guy says he can install it for free. I am worried in case it messes up my whole notebook.
Is it an easy thing to freely install windows on a linux notebook or should I just keep it as it is ?

It's possible, but you of course have to shell out for your Windows licence. Before going through with it, I'd consider looking for alternatives to the software that you use. There are a lot out there in the FOSS world. What software is it, specifically, that you'd like to use?

As long as the guy knows what he's doing, it'll be straight-forward. The machine will need to be able to handle Vista, mind you. He can't do any irreparable damage software-wise, although if he messes up the installation then you could be left with a system that you can't use until someone else installs an OS on it properly.

We can help you with Linux! You might think it's hard at first, but it's not hard to learn!

You COULD PROBERBLY run vista on it, but the chances are that it'll perform awfully.

I really depends on the laptop. If it's a newer system, have a look at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any available drivers for your laptop that are Vista compatible.

These are the recommended requirements to run Vista:

# 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
# 1 GB of system memory
# 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
# Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

* WDDM Driver
* 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
* Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
* 32 bits per pixel​

# DVD-ROM drive
# Audio Output
# Internet access

Hello all,
Can anyone tell meif it is possible to replace a linux notebook to windows vista because I find it impossible to get software for my linux like Adobe software. The tech guy says he can install it for free. I am worried in case it messes up my whole notebook.
Is it an easy thing to freely install windows on a linux notebook or should I just keep it as it is ?

Changing the OS may be kind of drastic. If you really want to, make sure that you have all of the hardware drivers for the OS that you want to install before you begin.

What Adobe software are you needing for your linux system. Someone here may know of a good alternative.

Yeah, It's apparently possible to use WINE to run Photoshop CS4, and Dreamweaver CS4, but i'm yet to do it. Flash and Adobe Reader shouldn't be a problem!

Back
Top Bottom