Can I print wirelessly from one computer and print via USB from another computer?

akfsx

Solid State Member
I have the HP Deskjet F4580 series and I have a desktop computer (without wifi acces) and I have a laptop with wifi acces. So I was wondering if I go ahead for configuring my printer for Wi-Fi, will I still be able to print via USB for my desktop computer.

Thanks,

AKFSX

Just because the desktop doesn't have wireless doesn't mean you can't wirelessly print.

If you connect the printer to your network, you will be able to print from your desktop without having to connect USB, provided your desktop is connected to the same network.

On some printers, connecting via USB disables the wireless.

I own 2 of the Epson Workforce line. They both have usb and wireless printing modes. Problem is on those models you have to choose either or. You can't do both.
In your case I'd get a cheapo usb wireless stick. You can get some for as cheap as 10 dollars. Put that on your desk system and then set up the printer software on both your desk and laptop so both can hit the printer.

When you configure it for wireless, don't you assign it an IP address. Therefore as long as you're connected to your network you can print to it's IP address. It doesn't matter how the printer is connected, your devices should be able to find it.

OK I got the laptop connected to the printer but I am sitll having trouble trying to connect to the printer with my desktop. Anyone who can help me?
The desktop is windows xp home basic but I am not sure about the home basic part.

I configured my printer for wireless and I added the printer on the network. I have tried to to add the printer on the desktop but it wont work so does anyone have help.
My desktop is running windows x Service pac three and I think it runs home basic.

Back
Top Bottom