Can I Install Any DVD Burner In a Dell Tower

soldierboy

Beta member
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. My niece has a Dell desktop that is 2 1/2 years old. The DVD burner, in spite of all the usual checks, is not working. I thought I could buy any standard size DVD burner of any make and fit same in slot. However my 19yr old nephew reckons that not all makes will fit. Can anyone advise before I make a purchase and am stuck with it because it doesn't fit.
Many thanks for any help given

Soldierboy

If your current drive is SATA, then another SATA drive should work fine

Don't quote me on that, Dells are a pain lol

Measure the slot's width and height, then make sure the new DVD burner has the same dimensions. Also make sure the new one is SATA.

The only issue MIGHT be if the original one has a curved face. Store bought ones are flat across the face and it might be difficult to get it in and get it to open. Sometimes the buttons don't always line up right (if the case has a button that opens the drive instead of actually pushing the button on the drive itself). I would say that you'll be 90% safe buying one and that it will fit.

If you can post the type of dell you have we can look and let you know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom