Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

Newegg.com - Gateway NV55S04u Notebook AMD A-Series A6-3400M(1.4GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 6520G

Newegg.com - HP ProBook 4525s (XT950UT#ABA) NoteBook AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P340(2.20GHz) 15.6" 2GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon HD 4250

Newegg.com - HP ProBook 4530s (XU015UT#ABA) Notebook Intel Core i3 2310M(2.10GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 3000

I really really like the ProBooks, the casing and what not is really nice. However, I'd like the best I can get for my money. My top budget is $500, although I'd like to keep it under if possible. I'll be using it for college, and /maybe/ some gaming in between classes. Therefore, battery life and weight are issues. Thanks

(I'm also open to any other ideas if you know of a laptop that would work better for me )
__________________

__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

The last one is your best bet if you're performance minded in the CPU aspect. It sucks that it uses Intel graphics, otherwise it would win hands down.

If you care more about good graphics performance, the middle unit should be fine. The top one is a good one as well, but the CPU, even being a later gen A- series APU from AMD, the Athlon II would probably win for me.
__________________

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
The last one is your best bet if you're performance minded in the CPU aspect. It sucks that it uses Intel graphics, otherwise it would win hands down.

If you care more about good graphics performance, the middle unit should be fine. The top one is a good one as well, but the CPU, even being a later gen A- series APU from AMD, the Athlon II would probably win for me.
I looked up benchmarks and what not, and the intel graphics beat the crap out of the AMD HD 4250. I was rather surprised, but it seems that's how it is. Also, I was under the impression that the AMD quad core was the fastest of the processors?
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

Yeah I agree the probook is the best.
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clacker View Post
Yeah I agree the probook is the best.
Any particular reason why?
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
I looked up benchmarks and what not, and the intel graphics beat the crap out of the AMD HD 4250. I was rather surprised, but it seems that's how it is. Also, I was under the impression that the AMD quad core was the fastest of the processors?
The Intel might be faster, but when Intel gets tired of supporting the drivers for it, you'll suffer. They've done it in the past, they'll do it again in the future. They aren't like nVidia and AMD/ATI. They usually stop support for a given solution far sooner than either of the other two companies.

Not to mention all the incompatibilities if you want to do any kind of gaming - forget about it.

If you're going to use the system for 2-3 years for strictly business apps, then you'll be fine, that's about all Intel seems to aim for.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Any particular reason why?
The specs are the best out of all of them and it has then intel core processor i3.
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
The Intel might be faster, but when Intel gets tired of supporting the drivers for it, you'll suffer. They've done it in the past, they'll do it again in the future. They aren't like nVidia and AMD/ATI. They usually stop support for a given solution far sooner than either of the other two companies.

Not to mention all the incompatibilities if you want to do any kind of gaming - forget about it.

If you're going to use the system for 2-3 years for strictly business apps, then you'll be fine, that's about all Intel seems to aim for.
Oh, yeah, I definitely know how they are about that... However, isn't the AMD processor the best of the bunch? It's a quad core, while the rest are dual cores, and it seems to be faster even without the quad core bit. Not to mention, it has the best video chipset by far. I'm confused as to why you guys don't like the AMD quad core?
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 AM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

The AMD quad core can't hold a candle to the Intel dual cores. AMD's architecture is too old to be useful against the i-series processors. There's tons of benchmarks out there to prove it.

I'm AMD-faithful, but even I know the performance on the i3 is staggering.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Can I get some opinions on these 3 laptops?

PassMark CPU Lookup
PassMark - Intel Core i3-2310M @ 2.10GHz - Price performance comparison

yet in this benchmark the 3400m scored around 30% higher than the i3?
__________________

__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0