Can i fit a wireless card?

kevinbreault39

Baseband Member
When you build the alienwares online, it shows that you can add a wireless card and they do not warn you that you are using more PCI slots than you have. I have my alienware now, and i didnt order the wireless card in it, but i want to put one in now. I am running 2X GTX 260 cards, and when i look inside my computer, it does not seem like i have any slots, or any room left. But i am not sure. Do i have room?

When you build the alienwares online, it shows that you can add a wireless card and they do not warn you that you are using more PCI slots than you have. I have my alienware now, and i didnt order the wireless card in it, but i want to put one in now. I am running 2X GTX 260 cards, and when i look inside my computer, it does not seem like i have any slots, or any room left. But i am not sure. Do i have room?

Depends on your motherboard, and how many cards you currently have in. I would imagine if all you have are two GTX260's, then you should have a couple free slots.

Hm, well when i bought it i looked at how many slots there are, and here is what it says:
Slot 1: PCI-Express 2.0 x16
Slot 2: PCI-Express 2.0 x1
Slot 3: PCI-Express 2.0 x16
Slot 4: PCI-Express 2.0 x1

So the two video cards should only take up 2 slots, right? And then a wireless card will take up a 3rd one. Im just not sure where it would fit... lol

Can you post a decent picture of the inside showing the PCI expansion area?

That's the best way to determine if you have the space or not.

Or give us the motherboard model number. We should be able to visually add the GPU's you have and let you know.

Depending on whether or not the vid cards cover up the x1 slots will be the deciding factor. If they don't then you can get an x1 card for it. If they do you can resort to a usb stick.

# AlienwareTM Approved Intel® X58 MicroATX Motherboard (Standard with Intel® X58 Architecture)
# Socket 1366, 900 Series Intel® CoreTM i7 Ready, Dual Triple-Channel DDR3 Memory Support

Ill post pictures later.

# AlienwareTM Approved Intel® X58 MicroATX Motherboard (Standard with Intel® X58 Architecture)
# Socket 1366, 900 Series Intel® CoreTM i7 Ready, Dual Triple-Channel DDR3 Memory Support

Ill post pictures later.

Your gonna struggle to find the space for a wifi card if you really do have a microATX motherboard with dual SLI.

Aurora1.jpg

Aurora3.jpg

Aurora4.jpg

Looking at the pic's there's no space there for a PCI wifi card.

Your best bet is a USB wifi I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom