Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Can I delete files in the recovery drive? Need more space. Other related questions..

Hello,

I need to free up some space in my recovery drive (D: ). Every time I run a scan it fails because I don't have near the space needed on this drive. The drive capacity is about 9 MB, and I only have 8% of that free. The scans keep telling me to free up some space.

Is this D: drive slowing down my computer?

When I click on the icons in the D: drive that have the most space (4GB, 2GB), I get a message saying:

Quote:
Warning!

This area of your hard drive (or partition) contains files used for your PC Recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could prevent any recovery later.

*Does this mean that I won't be able to restore my computer to factory settings, even with my recovery DVDs? Or does it just mean that I won't be able to perform a backup the next time I want to?

If I can't delete any files off my D: drive, how can I free up space on that drive?

I'm tempted just to delete the files...but am unsure, and I thought I would post a message about it first.

Thanks,
Brad

Psychotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Can I delete files in the recovery drive? Need more space. Other related question

If youve got backup dvds then why would you need the recovery partition taking up space on your hard drive. I would get rid of it cause when you go to use that recovery partition, it usually houses all that advertisement crap that you had in the begining. Thats just my 3 cents, Ill probally get flamed for it but ehhh. Your puter

crayon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Default Re: Can I delete files in the recovery drive? Need more space. Other related question

How do I get rid of the recovery partition? I did format it, so all the data is gone, but is there a way for me to just delete the whole thing, or is it fine like that.

Thanks, Brad
Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Baseband Member

When you decide if ever to wipe and reload windows you can delete the partition so your drive is just one. I would do that and add either an extra drive for storage and or backup.
crayon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

If you want to have the space allocated to your C: Drive, you could use a program called Partition Magic.
Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Solid State Member

That's ok, I think I have enough space on my C: drive. I've been spending days optimizing my computer. Right now I'm working on making my computer faster by disabling unneeded services. Thank you though.

Brad