Can I Crossfire on my PSU?

NeciFiX

In Runtime
Hi,

While my PSU is not "SLI or Crossfire Certified", I think it MIGHT Be able to do Crossfire. I want to run 2x HIS IceQ Radeon HD 4670's in Crossfire. As you may know, these cards are about $79, compared to the HD 4850, which is about $200 [and in benchmarking, the two 4670's outperform one HD 4850]. These cards also do not require PCI-e power connectors, indicating they are low on the power supply requirements. Here is my system build:

Processor: Wolfdale E8400 [Not OC'd, don't intend to]
RAM: G-Skill 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM
HDD's: 640GB [7200.11 RPM, in mail] 250 GB [5400.11 RPM I think]
Graphics card: HIS HD Radeon 4670
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W [Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182017]

Could probably just upgrade my power supply anyways [afterwards?]. But, then, that'd end up being more expensive than the 4850, but, then again, when I replaced the two Crossfiring cards in the end, I'd have to deal with the Crossfire issue then, so...

Here's the PSU I'm thinking of [I like LED lights, lol]:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

Still, will my current Rosewill support two Crossfire'd 4670's without exploding, dying, blowing up, getting eaten by zombies, raped by Renee Zellweger, etc.

Thanks,

NeciFiX

Yes, I think you could. The HD 4670 is very efficient, it doesn't even require a 6 pin.

The HD 4850's only $130 after MIR though, and you could sell your current Hd 4670 to reduce the cost further.

You could, i once slied 2 8600's... and these cards have the 6 pin...

The power supply was some cheap 450w that didnt even have 6pins on it.

It worked but then i fried the mobo by popping the ram out without shutting down the computer.....

Yeah, you should definitely be fine. I was running my HD 4670 on a Dell 300W PSU.

But yeah, go to newegg, they have some very cheap HD 4850s that I plan on buying.

The only reason I'd want to Crossfire two HD 4670's is because apparently, they slightly outperform one HD 4850.

But, if I were to get a 4850, I'd get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161244

[I love HIS cards and their cooling, looks very slick and works well not only to cool the GPU but the computer itself, as I've noticed]

Should I just sell my old 4670 and get the 4850? Where would I even sell my 4670? eBay? I'm thinking I should just do Crossfire, haha. I'd rather not stress and/or destroy my PSU, but, as you said, these GPU's don't even need a 6-pin.

You could, i once slied 2 8600's... and these cards have the 6 pin...

The power supply was some cheap 450w that didnt even have 6pins on it.

It worked but then i fried the mobo by popping the ram out without shutting down the computer.....

Are you sure? I have a 8600 and mine doesn't require 6-pin. If there's a dual-slot version then maybe.

@OP: I'd just sell the current card and buy the HD4850. It's always better to run 1 card vs 2 in a bridge connection IMO.

its too bad you didn't get that PSU last week or so I just got the same one for 39.99 shipped after MIR from the egg.....

but as Joga said it would be better to just sell it and get the single 4850

Wow, damn. Yeah, I ALWAYS. Literally, ALWAYS miss Newegg good deals. My HDD that I just bought, the 640GB, went on sale from $74.99 to $59.99 two hours after I bought it. I was slightly annoyed, as I missed out on 3 other good deals that day and as well as back when I bought the majority of my computer equipment, I simply asked them if I could get into the deal that I missed out of, since it happens to me a lot, and this time by such a close margin.

Newegg gave me a $15 credit since I missed out on the deal. Newegg is awesome. Not only RMA'ed my motherboard even though it was screwed up big time [not by me, but, damn, I had lost the PnP cap and such and they still RMAed it...] AND they got me into a deal that I missed. Love their customer service.

Anyways, so, save up and go for the HIS HD 4850?

Back
Top Bottom