Can I Crossfire?

datkins91

In Runtime
I've ordered a 2nd Sapphire R9 270X, as I just simply wanted consistent 60 frames on everything I play.. and also to treat myself! :D

However, I've been reading up on it and am a little concerned about the heat that may be generated. My system isn't large. I have 2 front intakes and 1 rear exhaust. The rear exhaust is 70-75 CFM. I'd say the system can get pretty warm already playing games on max settings. I'd say the GPU alone hits 60-70 in a game session.

What do you think? Would be computer be able to bear it at all?

The temps are gonna increase with an extra GPU. I am running 2 GPU's myself, and can easily see a difference in temps. One thing is an extra hardware to heat up the system, another is the extra power draw. So the PSU is also gonna heat up a bit more.

Both of my GPU's are at 75c when i game. It's actually not too much for it to function. The fans are just increasing the speed when it gets too hot.
Your fan on the GPU is most likely not running at 100%, So if you don't mind the extra noise, i'll say you will be alright.

But keep an eye on the temps. Do some benchmarking first.
If you are not happy with the temps or fan speeds, a cooling upgrade is necessary. A slight downclock on both GPU's can also do a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Hi Biker, thanks for the reply.

The noise isn't so much of an issue if you're playing with a headset, which I do.

What sort of case and cooling do you have set up, may I ask?

Also, what resolution do you run at?

Edit: Sorry, can see what case you have and assume all fan ports are being used!

Last edited:
I am running at 1440p. Be warned if you buy a monitor like that. You will never want go back to HD again. :) But it sucks how much more performance it requires.

I have the NZXT H440. It it not known for it's airflow. The design reduces the amount of air that can be pushed in and out. (looked beautiful though and is optimized for silence)
So what i have is 3 Corsair AF140 performance case fans (which are great), and i use corsair H60 2014 edition liquid cooler on the CPU.

Last edited:
I see. Thank you, it's good to know that someone with relatively similar airflow can use dual cards. Hopefully I should be fine!

Hmm, you have me intrigued now.. maybe I'll have to look into 1440p.. :D currently on 1080p!

The critical component here is the Psu and I find that so few people use good quality psus and there really are so few available to begin with. Answering your question would be a whole lot easier especially if you told us your hardware including make and model of psu.

The critical component here is the Psu and I find that so few people use good quality psus and there really are so few available to begin with. Answering your question would be a whole lot easier especially if you told us your hardware including make and model of psu.

My PSU is a Corsair TX650W.

Processor: FX8350

The TX 650 TX and TXV2 are both Seasonic made and they are great quality but the newer TX models are all made by CWT which is basically poor quality which would be ok for a while if it is a new Psu and should handle your 2 cards. But if its not the Seasonic made card I would not go oevr 2 years. The problem with a poor quality card is as they degrade, they blow away other components. Corsair used Seasonic builds long enough to get a great reputation then they switched to low quality CWT maker so they can make more money.
One thing that I have always found is that one card but a way better video card will give you better performance with less issues than 2 cardsrunning in Crossfire.

Depends highly on how well the game is optimized for Crossfire. In some games my 770 Sli setup performs as well a GTX Titan.

I favor single GPU's over multiple cards solutions, simple because i dislike the added power draw, noise and heat (not to mention that some games have issues running with multiple cards). But in my case i bought an extra as a temporarily solution until Nvidia comes out with their new series. It was a cheaper upgrade than buying a 980. I believe datkins have a similar reason for his upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom