Can I add linux to this old desktop?

frldyz

In Runtime
Few years back I purchased this from B.B.

HP p2-1334
AMD E1-1200 Accelerated processor
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
AMD Radeon HD7310 Graphics ( integrated into the APU I assume, but maybe not? )
Super Multi DVD burner
Windows 8

It was less then $300.
I since have done a build but am looking to play with ( Linux virgin ) Ubuntu or Mint.
This will be an offline computer just to fool around with until Im comfortable then I will ditch Windows.

I tossed out the RAM ( stupid me ) and the HDD.

1. If I want to install Linux can it be done n this system ( whats left of it ).
2. I assume I just need to buy 4gb RAM. Any DDR3 4gb RAM will do correct?
3. Add a new HDD?
4. Since I tossed the old HDD there is no O.S on this right? So by adding a new HDD I can then install my own O.S ( Linux ) and I will be good to go correct?
5. There are 2 connections left. I assume the bigger one is for the HDD. But what does the extra SATA cable go to? Do both connections go to the HDD?
6. Or is the extra SATA connection just an extra in case I wanted to add something in the future?

Thank you everyone.
I'm looking forward to Linux

*My goal with this set-up is just buy the bare minimum that it needs then install Linux ( Ubuntu or a mint )

You will have to buy the RAM but you can run Linux from a USB pen drive. I use "Universal USB Installer to do this. https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ This works quite well and will install a bootable Linux version on to a 4Gb pen drive. I would suggest you try it this way first to make sure everything works and then buy a hard drive and do the installation to the hard drive off the pen drive. I have used Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Xubuntu quite successfully using this method.

1. You need RAM.

2. As long as it is DIMM. SODIMMs are for laptops.

3. Not necessary, but you need one of you want to install it.

4. Yes.

5. Only one SATA to the drive.

6. Yes.

If the PC is old, you'll want to install something using the lighter desktop environments. LXDE is the lightest, followed by XFCE and MATE, which are both pretty much the same.

1. You need RAM.

2. As long as it is DIMM. SODIMMs are for laptops.

3. Not necessary, but you need one of you want to install it.

4. Yes.

5. Only one SATA to the drive.

6. Yes.

If the PC is old, you'll want to install something using the lighter desktop environments. LXDE is the lightest, followed by XFCE and MATE, which are both pretty much the same.

5/6 bigger and smaller one? are you talking about the power and data cables for sata? the big one should come from the power supply, and the small one should come from the motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom