Can I add another Hard Drive to my desktop?

Veropie

Solid State Member
I recently purchased a Dell Dimension E510 with 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x256M) and 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache. I bought it with the intention of later adding more RAM and more hard drive space. My question is if I'd be able to add a Maxtor Ultra Series 250GB Internal Hard Drive. How does that work exactly? Does the computer recognize it as simply more hard drive space? Would there be enough space in the computer to add this hard drive AND later add 1-2 GB of RAM? Please help!!! I apologize in advance for knowing absolutely nothing. :confused:

Yes you can add another hard drive no problem. Now if there is actually room for one, you will have to pop open the case and see for yourself most likely the awnser will be yes. All you do is get the other hard drive hook up the ide cable coming from the other HD set the first HD's jumpers to master, and the new ones to slave. And your good too go. Yes you can also add ram its not a issue of "space" but if your mobo actually supports 1 or 2gb's of ram.

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge but one more thing... what is my 'mobo'?... and, do I really NEED that much RAM (1-2GB)? Adding that much RAM was my initial intention but I don't know that I necessarily need it. I don't use the computer for the purposes of gaming (just surfing the net a lot and downloading songs, etc.) so maybe I don't. Perhaps adding another 512MB of RAM would be enough?

ya, just add another 512, but since you have dual channel memory (ddr2), you would have to buy two 512mb sticks and replace the current ones

edit: mobo is just another name for motherboard

A mobo is short for motherboard, its like the board that hold your processor and ram. Its basically links everything togother. 1-2gb's actually isnt over kill i have 1gb of ram right now. 1gb of ram is actually the standard in mostly all computer. Adding another 512 stick would improve your computers performance a lot..

Ok, so I would essentially have to replace my existing RAM with 1GB of Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz which would consist of two sticks each half a gig? or I could replace it with 2gb of Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz which would consist of 2 sticks each 1GB? And... one last question... how much space should I be able to see when I pop open the case of my computer so that I can fit this 250GB hard drive?

Well all HD's are the same size, you just have to look to see if there is room to mount it which there most likely is. For the ram if you want 1gb then yeah get 2 512 sticks and if you really want to spend the money and get the best performance then get 2 1gb sticks hope this clears everything up..

One more question... deal wise... is this a good deal? Maxtor Ultra Series 250GB Hard Drive 7200RPM, Internal, SATA/150 for $59.99 after rebate.

Are you buying that from compusa? Because i went to buy the same thing but they were all out. Yeah thats a GREAT deal...

Well this is what i mean when you need to see if you have room, there has to be a place to mount the hd

installingharddrivefig139ow.jpg

Back
Top Bottom