Can this HDD be saved?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
My next door neighbor gave me his PC, to see if I can fix it.

I think he might of burned his MOBO or something, because I cant to seem to get it powered up. I had already told him that, and he asked me if his HDD can be saved, like to get all the important information out.

If I would to take out his HDD and connected it to my PC using eSATA connection, will I be able to access it, and perhaps transfer some files over?

Sure, as long as the drive's not encrypted or fried I don't see why not. You certainly won't lose anything by trying!

Well I ran into some trouble...

The HDD is an IDE ops. I was able to connected it to my MOBO...etc

When I get into windows and go gto my PC the HDD is not there.... What do I do?

My main PC is using a raid-0 and a single HDD for movie storage...etc, I see them both, but dont see my neighbors HDD.

Please help :)

go to the bios and make sure it is set as a slave drive, and make sure that on the hard drive itself, its a slave drive (you can change it by re arranging the pins, commonly found on the bottom)

go to the bios and make sure it is set as a slave drive, and make sure that on the hard drive itself, its a slave drive (you can change it by re arranging the pins, commonly found on the bottom)

Going to look for the pins around my room now, coz there are non on the HDD, and im pretty sure there is no option in BIOS for setting it there, will check in a few.

EDIT I can use the pins from the MOBO right? I mean it fits there...

Going to look for the pins around my room now, coz there are non on the HDD, and im pretty sure there is no option in BIOS for setting it there, will check in a few.

EDIT I can use the pins from the MOBO right? I mean it fits there...

You talking about a jumper? Sure, I mean a jumper is a jumper.

UPDATE:

Here is what I was able to get. I connected it to my external enclosure, and was able to get Computer management, as well as my computer to see, but just for a second, then it went away and I got a pop telling me to reformat the HDD.

Well the good news that its not dead, the bad news I have no idea what to do next. Whats the next step, or is this it

The other question I have, why didnt I get this pop up when I was connecting it to my MOBO? Maybe this IDE HDD, need to be connected once in windows for it to be recognized? I doubt its my MOBO...

Back
Top Bottom