Can government recover erased HDD data?

Windex1

In Runtime
I know the FBI and CIA speaks of ways they can magnetically collect all the data you've erased but is there a way to prevent them from doing this? Anyone know anything more about this?

Do like in Terminator 2, dip it in molten steel, bury it; use a drill to punch hole in it; put it in your self cleaning oven for a couple of hours; bring it to the incinerator (get a price!); bury it under a road where they are going to pour ciment or asphalt!

There is no way, unless you destroy the hard-drive permanently. And what are you trying to hide anyways? Don't fall for the guys advertising Evidence Eliminator software.. it doesn't work.

Well, see, I'm John Connor and I have to find a way to erase my past. I hope skynet never gets activated.

If you destroy the platter of the hard drive. So basically the cops are coming down your street you hear ther sirens so you take it out and take a hammer to it and its gone........and then you find out that they werent coming for u

u could take it apart, and take the disks out :) then they can "magnetize the .. empty hdd, and u be like wuts wrong sir?

well short of taking sandpaper to the disk platters...

you need a 5 swipe disk scrubbing tool.

http://dban.sourceforge.net will do nicely and is used by corperations and governmental departments alike, (as you can read in their portfolio) It's also free.

Data can be recovered in a number of ways.
1: you only delete the file
problem, only the poniter to the file is erased, the data remains

2: you format the disk
problem, only the first sectors are eraed, data remains

3: Low level format,
problem, whilst the entire disk is re-written there is magnetic residue that exists on the disk surface, this can, (when analised) enable files to bereconstructed).

4: disk scrubbing
the disk is written ll bits to zero
problem : magnetic residue remains

5: disk drilling
driling a hole in the disk
problem, 99% of the disk is still intact, and datastill exists on the platters which are mostly undamged

6: Dunking in water,
problem: disks are sealed so thisdoesn't damage the disks

7: smashing controller board
problem : new control boards can be fitted.

8: five pass disk scrubbing
all bits are written to zero, then all bits are written to one, then zero, then one, then zero, then one, then zero then one, then zero, then one
problem, it take so damn long!!! but data is irrecoverable.

what do you have that you are worried about the police finding?

just incase of confusion...
the program I linked to is a self contained program that is booted to from a diskete, it loads a linux kernal that directl accesses the disk...

if you dno't believe it works, try it, then look at it with a disk investigation tool.

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

Back
Top Bottom