cable modem

go to your network connections... you should see the LAN and see if you can repair it from there... disable any bridges that might be active... right click the LAN icon and see if you can hit "repair"

Power off your cable modem, and router (unplug them both).
Wait 30 seconds. Plug the cable modem back in. Let it go through the whole process. Make sure you have the Cat5 cable going from the modem to the LAN port on the router- usually sets off to the side by itself. No plug the router in. Make sure your Cat5 connections to your router are secure to the other ports, running directly to the computers. If you have XP, it's not even necessary to restart the computer. It should get an IP automatically. If it's any OS besides XP, you will have to release and renew.
Windows 2000- Start>run>cmd>OK>ipconfig /release all
Then type ipconfig /renew all.
Windows 98/ME- Start>run>winipconfig
Hit the release button. Then the renew button. Also make sure your network card is selected.
If you still get limited or no connectivity, you should check your router settings, and make sure it is assigning more than one IP. Why it wouldn't is beyond me, but you may want to check.

Ok heres what happened I typed in the release all command and it worked, but now my computer which is xp gets the same limited or no connectivity error. this one is a win98 and I need a command now to restore internet on my xp!! please help
!!

Ok, look. If one computer is working, there is no point to reset all your routers/switches/hubs etc.. because that is obviously not the problem. You have issues on that particular computer. probaby spyware or some sort of other software problem causing this. Did you happen to just remove some spyware from your computer recently before this started happening>? if so then it probably jacked up your winsock controll. try this on the computer having problems

Start>Run>cmd then press enter.

type

netsh then press enter

then type...

winsock reset

press enter, wait for it to finish, then reboot the computer and try again

that didnt help,when I typed the release all command on this computer which is a win98 it worked but in the process it caused my computer which was connecting to have the same problem, now I cannot connect but this cpu can

yea, you have to use the release, then renew because when you release it lets go of the ip, do the same thing you did with the release, but use renew.

you may need to enable DHCP on the server... DHCP automatically hands out IP addresses... (Providiing that the ip address config is all on automatic, on the computer)

Back
Top Bottom