c2d/athlon x2 dilemma

shooler

Solid State Member
Just wanted to get some opinions.

Currently I am considering getting an AM2 Athlon x2 3800+ processor with this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813127010.

I'm in a quandary though-- should I continue to save up to get a C2D and a better mobo to go with it? I've read lots of reviews on C2D mobos and can't seem to find a respected one less than ~150$. I don't need RAID, FireWire, and other bells and whistles like that, but the cheapers ones that come without those features seem to be junky according to reviews.
I'm on a fairly rigid budget, I'm kinda pushing it by going the extra 50$ for the e6400 and then a mobo double the price of my current one.

I've read plenty about how the 3800+ x2 is a great cpu and everything, but C2D seems to be the way to go and I don't want to buy the amd cpu and be disappointed later.

Someone give me some advice and/or links to a good mobo they've used with a C2D that won't break the bank :D

Gigabyte DS3, it looks like you won't do any tweaking or fancy stuff like that so the RAM issue shouldnt be a problem with the DS3. It's a great overclocking board so thats a plus, very stable and good performance. Quite cheap too compared to other boards. Get this motherboard with a E6400 or E6300.

Well, I was in the same delemna you were in about a week ago. I went with the AMD Athlin 64 3600+ X2, havent regretted my purchase.

Back
Top Bottom