Buying a Rig tonight...

Well will the nividia chipset overclock the CPU to 3.5ghz or a little below just fine?
If you're serious about overclocking, and 3.5 is pretty decent for a 920, you'll want the 790GX with the SB750 southbridge. You can still go multi-GPU in the future by switching the GTX 260 to an HD 4870. And HD 4870 = GTX 260 in terms of performance.

yeah, well pretty much the only reason I wanted to overclock the CPU was so that the GTX 260 was not bottlenecked. I dont hear about the 4870 getting bottlenecked from lower CPU speeds. Does it? Because If it is only the case with the GTX 260, then overclocking really would serve no purpose... I've read reviews and the 4870 is nice but I just get a funny feeling about it. Care to enlighten me? :)

I looked at some reviews of the 4870 1GB vs the TX 260/216 896MB and "Overall, it seems NVIDIA's card doesn't just excel in performance, but in both power consumption and temperatures as well."

Quoted from:
http://techgage.com/article/ati_hd_4870_1gb_vs_nvidia_gtx_260216_896mb/7

yeah, well pretty much the only reason I wanted to overclock the CPU was so that the GTX 260 was not bottlenecked. I dont hear about the 4870 getting bottlenecked from lower CPU speeds. Does it? Because If it is only the case with the GTX 260, then overclocking really would serve no purpose... I've read reviews and the 4870 is nice but I just get a funny feeling about it. Care to enlighten me?
They perform at around the same level, so if there's a CPU bottleneck with one, it'll be present with the other. However, CPU bottleneck's are usually only a problem at lower resolutions (~<1680x1050 in the 260/HD4870's case)
As for your funny feeling about the HD 4870, there are lots of happy GTX 260 owners (apart from the people who bought them when they just came out :p) and there are lots of happy HD 4870 owners. There's nothing wrong with either cards is what I'm trying to say.
I looked at some reviews of the 4870 1GB vs the TX 260/216 896MB and "Overall, it seems NVIDIA's card doesn't just excel in performance, but in both power consumption and temperatures as well."
If you're reading any review showing one excelling over the other, then you're reading a biased review. It depends from what angle you look at it, but in 99.99% of cases:
HD 4870 512MB = GTX 260
HD 4870 1GB = GTX 260 Core 216

Ok, so in order to make sure I get a core 216, I should called ibuypower and make sure? Thanks for being non-biased, It really helps out. If they don't pack the core 216, I just might move the mobo to the 790 and the GPU to the 1gb 4870. Thanks!

Well I've thought about it, and I think I'm leaning towards the 4870 1GB and 790 mobo.. Seems I'd have an easier time overclocking and then the GPUs are equal. And I could eventually put in dual 4870s if I wanted. plus it'll be about 30$ cheaper with a faster shipping option included so I could by a game.. I'll be buying around 1-3pm today, I'm glad I waited.

Ok, so in order to make sure I get a core 216, I should called ibuypower and make sure? Thanks for being non-biased, It really helps out. If they don't pack the core 216, I just might move the mobo to the 790 and the GPU to the 1gb 4870. Thanks!

Well I've thought about it, and I think I'm leaning towards the 4870 1GB and 790 mobo.. Seems I'd have an easier time overclocking and then the GPUs are equal. And I could eventually put in dual 4870s if I wanted. plus it'll be about 30$ cheaper with a faster shipping option included so I could by a game.. I'll be buying around 1-3pm today, I'm glad I waited.

Since you have seemed to make up your decision with the choice I can just go ahead now and tell ya you won't be disappointed with your decision. If you look at my Signature that is basically the exact system I have and you will be very happy with the performance. I built mine when they first released the Phenom II series and I have been very pleased with it since I got it. And as Worship stated the performances of the cards are pretty close if not identical and the ones where one is better than the other the difference unless you are a hardcore benchmarker really don't make much of a difference in game. I mean seriously who notices the difference of 5 FPS in game when you are running high Framerates to begin with. Very good choice on your system. I know you will be happy with it..:D:D

Back
Top Bottom