Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Buying Refurbished?

Have a horror story from buying refurbished electronics? Or is this a good way of saving some cash when getting something new? Lets hear some good stories!

nehalem2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Buying Refurbished?

Depends on the brand and/or where you're getting it from I guess. I bought my xps 435mt that I use as a web/media/everything server that I purchased from dells refurb store for a fraction of what it would have cost me new. However when I received the box, it had severe water damage (only the box). I'm not sure if they had the box like that at dell or if rained heavily on its way to me and the truck leaked or what, but when i got the box I could literally see the computer inside of it (box had melted in one corner). I opened it up and let it dry out for two days before I turned it on and everything worked ok, but it was kind of nerve wracking spending that much money on something and having it show up like that.

ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Nope, no horror stories. I bought a refurbished OCZ PSU that died. It was easy enough to submit an RMA to get a replacement.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

i just bought a refurbed 5770 vapor-x and i've even figured out why it was refurbed and fixed it.
My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
In Runtime

I bought a Epson Artisan 810 All-in-One Printer that is regularly priced 300$ for 29$ at office depot and it worked fine.

I have several clients that buy toshibas from their refurbed store and they work extremely well. So my sugesstion to you would be do your research before buying refurbed products
4mattc is offline   Reply With Quote