Buying Power Supply

hi guys. thanks for all the answers
it's hay season here on the farm and i've got a few house issues that have kept me very busy so i havn't been able to fiddle with it at all.

wolvarine: everything is plugged in correctly except the disk drive. i never use that thing and it is a tricky plug. the voltage is set to 120. or at least the little numbers on the red switch say 120. i will try to switch it to something else when i get a chance to see if that is the problem.

atomic rooster: the on/off switch is being pressed against the case of the computer. the only way i see around that is to snip a hole in the box to let it fit in. when i pull the power supply away from the computer it is still in the on position though. do you think this could be a problem?

It could be a problem.

Have you tried starting the computer with the PSU just resting in the case? Lay the case on it's side with the PSU sitting in it without being screwed in.

try flipping the voltage switch. i no that when my psu's breaker(fuse)trips i just flip that back and forth and it resets the breaker. also when you plug the psu into the wall do the light come down a little. that is the psu on "standbye" it is just "Filling" as you could say.

and the power switch on the computer. if unpluged need to be pluged back in. or you could just get a piece of metal and connect the power pins on the pin header.

and yes try just resting the psu on the ground with everything pluged in. almost like a bench test.

hope this helps

i have had a series of revelations from working with the computer just now

firstly, you were right, atomic rooster. the power supply does not work when the on/off switch is being pushed on. i was able to try it with the two different volt settings while not screwed in.

when i try on 230 the exact thing happens that was happenign to it with the old supply. the computer makes a very quiet noise and nothing happens

when i try it on 115 it started up just like normal. the old power supply was set to 115 as well. i didn't get past the login screen because i didn't plug anything in, but it looked ok. it is however possible that the problem won't start up until it has been on for a while or runs world of warcraft (like the old power supply did before it completely died).

right now i'm facing two problems.
one is that i can't have the power supply securely fastened and have it run. i see two possible solutions.
i can either run it with the power supply only connected by one screw, or find some tin snips and cut a whole in the back of the computer.

problem two is that the cable that plugs into the hard disk (i think) keeps slipping out. i got the message

eboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device
a couple times because of that. is there a trick to keeping it in there or should i just cross my fingers?

Are you able to mount to power supply upside down so that the switch is in an open spot?

Sounds like you have a SATA drive. Them darn cables can be a pain sometimes. You could look into getting a new cable. The newer "SATA 2" cables have a tighter fit and some have a locking mechanism to hold them tight.

i can't put the power supply in such a way that there is an open spot on the switch. the only open spot is the one for the outlet.

i guess i just have to let it dangle then?

Letting it "dangle" isn't the best idea. You could find some longer screws and place a spacer or some washers in between the PSU and the case to give the button some room. Or even your idea of cutting a small section out with tin snips would work if it's not too much work.

I like the idea of cutting out the back of the case. If you measure everything correctly it should not be a problem. Also, doesn't it have a back fan? You could go ahead and just cut out a big square (not big enough to remove the screw holes though).

good news, it appears we did it!

i brought home tin snips to cut the back of the case open enough for the on/off switch, but the steel was too thick and it wouldn't cut. instead i found a hack saw blade, made a web of duct tape to catch the shavings, and sawed at the case. i made a flap that i bent down with pliers and the part of the switch that juts out is able to fit through the hole.

i set the computer up an hour ago, connected it to the internet and it seems to be running fine.
i still have a problem however. this problem i created for myself before the power supply completely died. it has to do with uninstalling a video card.
i made this thread here about it http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?p=839355#post839355

thanks everybody for your help. especially you atomic rooster. you seemed to know just what was going on and were very quick with responses.

Back
Top Bottom